XIII

November 2nd, 2005.

"But mom, I want pie."

Mary Winchester laughed as she lifted her four years old son. Bright green eyes stared at her pleadingly, which filled her heart with love.

"You've already had a slice, honey. Besides, don't you want to say goodbye to Sammy before you go to bed?" She smiled when her son's expression changed to one of excitement. "You can have a slice tomorrow, OK?"

Mary kissed Dean's forehead and put him down. Immediately, he ran down the hall and up the stairs, up to his baby brother's nursery room. She put away Dean's plate and made her way up the stairs, where she could hear the screaming of her eldest son. She quickened her pace, only to stop when she saw that her husband was carrying Dean upside down. The boy was screeching in joy and had the biggest smile on his face. She watched them, laughing softly when John winked at her.

"I caught this little devil sneaking downstairs," John explained, carefully turning Dean around so he was facing them again. The boy giggled when his father pretended to be mad.

"I wasn't," Dean said, screaming again when John threw him over his shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sure you're right. Now, what do you say honey. No bedtime story?" John tried, rubbing his scruff with the hand that wasn't holding Dean up. Mary smiled.

"Or, we could bring him straight to bed without saying goodnight to Sammy." The gasp from Dean's mouth was enough evidence that their teasing had worked once again. It was truly adorable how much he cared about his little brother.

"I wanna see Sammy," the child said, pouting slightly. Mary smiled and nodded. The boy's eyes lit up at the confirmation. The three of them walked over to Sam's nursery, where the baby was squirming in his crib. John held him up while he said goodnight and let him go afterward so he could go to bed himself.

Fifteen minutes later, the boy was laying in his bed, grinning when Mary came in. He hid under his blankets, laughing silently when his mother made a confused sound.

"I can't believe it, I swear he was just there!" She said with a gasp. Dean giggled underneath the blankets, screaming when his ankles were grabbed. "Gotcha."

Three attempts to put him to sleep and two stories later, Dean's eyes were finally drooping. Mary smiled at her eldest child, kissing his forehead.

"Sleep tight, my beautiful boy. And remember, angels are watching over you," she whispered. Dean smacked his lips twice before closing his eyes completely. Mary watched how his breathing evened and went to turn off the lights. She closed the door behind her, letting out a breath that she had been holding for too long. After that she went downstairs, where she could hear the TV.

"Well, that took ages. Did you have to suffocate him or something? Or worse, did he try to suffocate you?" John said, leaning his head over the couch. He hummed contently when his wife kissed him gently.

"You've been watching too much TV, honey. Let him be happy and careless while he can," Mary replied as she sat down beside him. Her head rested on John's shoulder as she smiled.

"Dean's so proud to have Sammy as his baby brother. I've never seen him so happy," Mary said, sighing contentedly when John's arm wrapped around her waist.

"I know. It suits him," the man agreed. Mary soon started to doze off in her husband's arms, not noticing the first time when Sam started crying through the baby monitor. John, however, did. He untangled himself from his wife and slowly made his way to Sam's room. He immediately figured that something was wrong, due to the smoke that was coming from under the door.