XX

*unedited*

Two months, three weeks and six days.

It took Castiel two months, three weeks and six days to collect the needed money for Dean's surgery. He did, and would for a long time, hide the fact that his dad had 'donated' half of the money, but at last, the money was there.

To be honest, after the exposure of Dean's scars, he had feared that his charity wouldn't get enough attention. His surprise had been all the more real when half of the kids had helped fund the surgery more dedicatedly than they had before. Of course there were people that laughed at Dean and teased him, but they quickly learned that Castiel could be very threatening.

He had called John Winchester as soon as their goal had been in sight, who had immediately gotten in touch with the hospital. Further information was unknown to the jock, causing him to be terribly nervous all day. Dean, despite noticing his weird behaviour, chose to ignore it.

That evening after school, the two boys were making homework on Dean's bed when John knocked on Dean's door. Both boys looked up, noticing him standing in the door opening.

"Can I steal Cas from you for a second?" the man asked, surprising both boys. John never specifically asked for Castiel, and although Castiel had his assumptions about the subject, it was weird hearing the man call him out like that.

Dean nodded hesitantly, looking at his boyfriend who rolled off the bed, onto his feet. They made eye contact for a few seconds as Castiel walked towards the door, the dark haired boy winking at him reassuringly. Then he disappeared from sight Dean's sight, following John downstairs curiously.

"What's going on?" he asked, watching the man pace from his left to his right. He rubbed his mouth before stopping a few feet away from the boy. "Sir, is somethi-"

"I just got off the phone with doctor Andrews." Castiel cocked his head to the left and squinted his eyes. He felt his heartbeat thump against his ribcage. "-it's the doctor that could perform the surgery. He has an open spot in two weeks, Cas. Two weeks."

As the man continued talking, Castiel's eyes widened and he covered his mouth in shock. He let out a laugh in disbelief, watching as John's eyes started to tear up. Without giving it much thought, he threw himself into the man's arms, feeling the man's arms wrap themselves around his waist.

"Thank you," he heard John whisper. Castiel pulled away after that, suddenly feeling slightly uncomfortable hugging the man. The grown up man had glossy eyes and a few tears rolled down his cheeks.

"It was the least I could do," he replied honestly. John wiped his eyes and cheeks furiously, sniffing quietly. Castiel himself felt his eyes burn as well. He hated seeing people cry, even if it the cause was positive. Besides, he himself felt like he was flooded with happiness as well.

"I've never met anybody in my life that was prepared to do something this generous, kid. I'm glad that you're the one making my son happy," John said, placing a hand on Castiel's right shoulder. The boy blushed furiously, looking down.

"Well, he makes me happy too. Besides, he's in constant pain and that needs to stop. And now that's finally possible," he said, letting out another amazed chuckle. "I can't believe we made it."

He turned around when he heard wood creak behind him, noticing a guilty looking Dean at the bottom of the stairs. Castiel shook his head in amusement, unintentionally sharing that movement with John.

'I'm sorry. I was curious,' Dean signed, smiling apologetically. John chuckled.

"I suppose you were. Come here kiddo, there's something we need to tell you," the eldest Winchester said, nudging to the couch. John and Dean sat down on the couch, Dean facing Castiel, who sat down in the chair diagonally left from the couch. He was fiddling with his fingers, which Castiel had caught as a nervous trait that he possessed.