XXI

Beep.

Fire, smoke.

Beep.

His throat was on fire.

Beep.

Dean frowned, his eyes moving underneath his eyelids. He still heard that annoying, steady beep and wished for nothing more than it to stop. His mouth was incredibly dry, making him crave at least a glass of water, but his throat was sore to an extent where he thought that he wouldn't be able to swallow the liquid.

The moment he opened his eyes, he was blinded by bright light and a lot of white around him. He frowned and moved his hand towards his face. The movement felt uncomfortable and his arm felt heavier than usual. What was going on?

When he fully opened his eyes again, they had adjusted to the light a bit more. He looked at his hand first, noticing the IV that was taped against the inside of his elbow. Then he looked up and saw a heart monitor.

Huh, so that's where that sound came from.

He then remembered the surgery. Right, that had happened. The pain didn't seem too bad, taking into account that they had just cut him open. Perhaps that was due to the painkillers though. He heard someone talking and looked towards his feet. He noticed his father walk his way and he smiled lightly when the man brushed some hair from his forehead.

"How are you feeling, kiddo?" Dean provided him with a tired, closed mouthed smile.

'Still can't talk,' he signed. John snickered and kissed his forehead.

"No shit, Sherlock." Dean turned his head towards the person that had just spoken, grinning with that same drunk-like smile. He opened his arms widely, the limbs ending up leaning against the sides of the hospital bed. Castiel did, however, catch onto his idea and walked closer. He hovered over the bed and kissed Dean's cheek, before allowing Dean's arms to wrap around his weakly.

"I'm glad you're OK, babe," Castiel mumbled. Dean slid his arms down and Castiel backed up slightly. He watched Dean grin with watery eyes, before his hand appeared in between their faces and a finger was pressed against his nose. Dean only stopped grinning when Castiel backed away even more with an amused smile on this face.

"Ah, Dean. Good to see that you're awake. How are you feeling, buddy?" Dean raised his thumb at the third person that had entered the room. He was under the impression that it was doctor Andrews. The doctor sat down beside him, holding a folder.

"So, your surgery went well. I'm not going to lie, once the anastetics will wear off it's not going to be painless, but I will prescribe you with some painkillers. You do need to rest for at least five days before coming back, because your tissues need to heal, but I'm sure we'll figure that out. Now, I'll just leave you guys alone. If you need anything, press the red button over there."

John thanked the doctor, who nodded and waved at Dean before walking off.

'I'm tired, dad,' Dean signed slowly, earning a fond smile from his father. Castiel, who was typing something on his phone, looked up after he had signed, not knowing what he had just said.

"Get some sleep then, kiddo," he said softly, ruffling his hair playfully. Dean whined, unintentionally amusing both his father and boyfriend. Castiel put his phone back in his pocket and sat down next to him as John tucked him in. Dean was too tired to comment that he wasn't a little kid anymore.

"Charlie texted me. She freaked when we both didn't show up at school today. I thought you would tell her about the surgery," Castiel explained. Dean squinted his eyes for a few seconds before shrugging. He honestly couldn't remember at the moment.