XII

Sam awoke just a minute before his alarm went off. Instead of most teenagers, he happily threw his legs over the edge of his bed and walked to the bathroom. In order to do so, he had to pass Dean's room. Of course, his door was still closed. He rolled his eyes and kept on walking, continuing his morning routine.

       The moment he was done, he decided that it was time that Dean woke up. He'd have to, because his big brother was his ride to school. He opened the door slowly, not at all expecting the sight in front of him.

        Dean was there, yes, but so was another boy. Sam vaguely recognized him as Gabriel's brother, Castiel. They were both fast asleep, and Sam could see that they were both wearing clothes - thank God. They were holding hands, which was kind of cute. It didn't stop him from freaking out, though. He slowly walked backwards and closed the door.

         "Dad!" He screamed, running down the stairs. His father had reached him within seconds, a kitchen knife in his hands. Sam eyed the knife shortly before explaining that there was someone else in Dean's room. John didn't need to hear more and ran back to where Sam came from. He slammed the door open, looking mildly surprised as he noticed what Sam had meant. He cleared his throat.

        "Dean Winchester and Castiel Novak," he spoke loudly. Both boys seemed to wake from their slumber and looked at the adult with wide eyes. They quickly pulled their arms to themselves and sat up. John noticed the pile of clothes in the corner of the room.

        "Castiel, get dressed, boy. And you young man-" he pointed at his eldest son. "You're coming with me."

        Dean followed his father slowly, mouthing an 'I'm sorry' to Castiel before the door was closed behind him. John grabbed his arm and led him a few feet away from the door.

        'What is he doing here?' John signed. Dean shrugged and looked down. He could, however, still see his father's hands. 'Dean. I'm not mad, I just want to know what's going on.' Dean sighed, shaking his head lightly. Earlier that night he had not wanted to tell his father about his nightmare to prevent further concerns, but it seemed like he didn't really have a choice.

        'I had a nightmare. It was bad, dad. Worse than ever. I didn't want to wake you so I called Castiel. He was determined to come over and I begged him to stay. I'm sorry,' Dean quickly signed. He prepared himself for a speech about the fact that he couldn't just bring someone home in the middle of the night, not expecting his father to hug him. He let out a soundless huff, slowly hugging back.

"Did it help? When you called him?" The elder man asked his son while his arms were wrapped around the boy's back. Dean nodded slowly, leaning into his father's embrace. "Good. Then let's go get him."

        John pulled away and lead his son towards his room. Dean knocked on the door once before opening the door. Luckily, Castiel was all done changing and sitting on the bed. He looked up when the door opened and immediately stood up.

        "Sir, I'm so sorry. I sort of invited myself in and it was late. It was never my intention to get Dean into tr-" he cut off his sentence when John hugged him. 

        "Thank you for looking after my son," the man said. Castiel let his arms hang next to his sides awkwardly, replying that it was no problem. Dean just looked at the unraveled sight in front of him in surprise, glad that his father wasn't mad. He smiled a bit at Castiel's awkwardness, which John caught up to as well.

        "Don't get used to this, boy. Anyways, you need breakfast. Why don't you come with me and let Dean change."  Dean shrugged innocently when Castiel pouted in his direction before he followed Dean's father downstairs. The man ordered him to sit down and offered him some coffee, which he politely inclined.