Chapter 14

Brianna's POV:

Today was the first day that I was going to see my mother in quite a while. My uncle called me the other day and told me she wasn't doing very well. I know I should really go see her more, just every time I go it makes me remember the past. All the things I went through as a child, don't get me wrong, I had a very nice childhood being wealthy and all. I got every toy I could ever ask for, I basically got anything I ever asked for. All the other kids were so jealous of me.

My father would use any excuse he could do get out of the house and away from my mother. He had various other lovers, despite being married to my mother. I guess what's one of the many reasons I don't believe in marriage. It's pointless bullshit and in the end it means nothing. Sure you could vow to be faithful to someone for the rest of your life, but those are just words. A marriage is pretty much just based on words and promises that neither party will ever keep.

My father, Jared, he didn't care if I was there. He would tell my mother that he was going to spend time with me, take me to the toy shop, take me to lunch, take me for ice cream, etc. He didn't completely lie to her though, because he did take me for all those things. "Don't tell your mommy, and I'll get you whatever you want." Really, he would leave me in a store or at the park alone for hours, and then come back with a toy or ice cream or whatever. I just didn't really matter to him. To him I was just an object, an excuse really.

My mother, Maybelle, knew better. She knew that her 'beloved' Jared was nothing more then an unfaithful asshole. That all their 'love' and promises of it, was just nothing more then utter bullshit. In this world you can rely on no one but yourself. If you were to 'love' anyone in this world, it should be yourself. Love yourself, because it's you alone in this world. Sure you can have friends, lovers, family. But those are just people, and people let you down. People just make bullshit promises. So if love exists, love yourself. That's how I see it anyways.

Maybelle and Jared, together forever. That's bullshit right? Everything is just bullshit. They did however remain married to each other, despite my father's infidelities. My mother just learned to live with it. Of course she tried to change, she tried to lose more weight (despite her already slender frame), she tried a new hair style, she tried to dress sexier, overall she just tried to be a better wife. She was hoping my father would return this 'love' that he had promised her with marriage. He never did though, he never showed love for my mother. Not even for me. The few times my mother did bring up divorce, he would beat her. He would beat her so bad, that I didn't think I would ever see her again.

It's quite sad that even though he didn't have any love for her, he wouldn't let her go. He didn't let her be happy, or even give her a chance to be happy. But he was sure happy, being a Steele I guess with his great looks, he could get any girl he wanted. Much like I can. In his later years, when he was far too old to be getting girls, he drank. He didn't want my mother still, he just drank. And now that he's gone, my mother is too old to get the chance of happiness that she deserved. So do you see what marriage causes you?

I sit up and stretch, noticing Jessica is already up getting ready. It's not even 11:00AM yet, and she's already up. That's highly unusual for her. Usually on the weekends she likes to sleep in, and well cuddle me. Oh, and we have lots of sex too. That's the best part. Lately, she's seemed a bit distant? If that's the correct word to use.

"What are you doing up so early?" I ask.

"Going to hang out with Kelsey." She replies, finishing her makeup and hair.

"Oh... You've been spending a lot of time with her lately..." I reply.

"Yeah, she's pretty amazing."