History and Promise

Jaden P.O.V

"...and the number of casualties continue to rise, as rescue men and medics continue searching the Kaiba Dome," the reporter said as she stood outside the smoking remains of the Kaiba Dome. "The number has reached somewhere in the three hundreds, but medics are saying that there may be more on the way to be added to the list. Meanwhile, KaibaCorp and the DCP are on the lookout for now criminally charged terrorist Sartorius Kunar, who has been revealed, thanks to the surprisingly still operational security footage from inside the Dome, as the one directly responsible for the tragedy that has happened here at the Kaiba Dome. Though the DCP has assured citizens of Domino City that they are currently tracking Sartorius, it has become very evident that Sartorius hasn't been found as of—"

Atticus scoffed in disgust, switching the TV off.

"This is ridiculous," he complained, throwing the remote on the table. "Sartorius could be anywhere in the country right now. Shit, for all we know he's still here in Domino City."

"I don't think he'd do that," Chazz replied. "I use to follow him when he brainwashed me; I know his game plan. Knowing Sartorius's game plan, he would probably stay away from Domino City and stay somewhere until he can be able to come back. By which time, he would have gained enough followers to make his next move."

Yugi looked at Chazz and me, the ever worried look on his face. "You make it sound like he's raising an army."

I sighed, leaning forward on my chair. Ever since the attack on the Kaiba Dome, me and the others had stayed several nights at the hotel I found myself in when Yubel saved me from falling into the time stream. The manager told us that we could use the rooms considering the situation, but only until the DCP (Domino City Police) and KaibaCorp confirmed that Sartorius wasn't in Domino City. That being said, me and the others (apart from Yugi) had separate rooms.

"Now that we know that he's one of Nightshrouds allies," I said, "I wouldn't put it behind me. Last time we faced him back at Duel Academy, almost all of the students were brainwashed by the Light of Destruction because of him; they all joined the Society of Light. They were pretty dangerous before all this happened, but now they've turned out to be a terrorist organisation, which was not what I was expecting at all."

Yugi leaned back, digesting the information. "This is gonna be a tough situation. If they do something like this again, we're gonna be completely unprepared. We need to be ready for anything they throw at us."

Yusei came forward, raising his hand. "Jaden? I may not know much about Sartorius, but didn't you mention before that he was a good person?"

I nodded, thinking to what Sartorius's life was like before he became a tarot reader. "He and his sister Sarina lived rough on the streets for some time, before they were found. He befriended Aster some time after Aster's father vanished, and they've been friends ever since. Deep down, Sartorius is a good person. But he also harbours a darkness in him: the fear that he isn't strong enough to help Sarina, that he has to continuously find a source of great power to protect her from any and all forms of harm."

Chazz nodded along with what I was saying. "Sartorius is still in there—he's just pushed right into the back of his mind, and... well, take it from me, it's hard trying to gain back control of your own body when the Light of Destruction is in control. It's like Jaden said: when it gains control of you, it keeps you on a very tight leash."

Yugi looked at me, a look of interest on his face. "How'd you even beat him before? If he was that dangerous, how did you beat him?"

I looked at him. "In a duel. I had to beat him in a duel. It turned out that if you beat someone in the Society of Light in a duel, then it gets rid of the influence that's controlling them. That person is freed from the Light of Destructions control, and that part of the Light of Destruction is destroyed."