Chapter Four

I spent the next three days looking up good doctors offices until I found one I was comfortable with.

Liam told me we needed to go to the doctor before Hawaii before I got to tell him the same thing.

So here we are, sitting in the doctors office waiting for my name to be called.

Liam attempted to go through one of the magazines but a moment later, he handed it to me and started going through his phone.

I feel Liam nudge my arm and I look up. He leans clover to me and puts his lips next to my ear.

"What are they going to do at this? Are they shoving that wand up your hoo-ha?"

I smile and shake my head.

"They're going an ultrasound of my stomach to find the heartbeat and check out the baby and then they're going to some blood tests to see if the baby has trisomy twenty one or trisomy eighteen," I whisper.

"What is that?" he mumbles back.

"Trisomy twenty one is down syndrome and trisomy eighteen means...either the baby is dead, or the baby is going to die."

He pulls his head back slightly and I can see the fear in his eyes, but I shake my head.

"We're both young and the risk goes up for both as you get older. It doesn't run in either one of our families. We have no reason to be concerned until they give us a reason to be concerned."

He nods in understanding and goes back to his phone, but the frown never leaves his face.

I reach out and grab his hand, squeezing it gently.

"We're getting good news, okay?"

He turns back to me.

"What if you're not pregnant?" he wonders. "I mean, you only took one test. You could be wrong."

"I'm not wrong," I reply. "I'm pregnant."

"But you could be wrong though, right?"

"I'm sure I could be, but I'm not."

"Savannah?"

Liam and I both look up at the nurse holding open the door to the back.

I put my magazine on the table and stand up, grabbing my purse.

Liam follows me to the back and they check my weight, and then make me go pee in a cup.

I send Liam to the room with my purse while I do my stuff, and then I make my way back there and sit down on the patient bed.

Liam stands up and walks over to me.

"I'm nervous. Are you nervous?" He asks.

"Yeah," I tell him.

"I mean, this is it. We're going to see the baby today," he says. "Do you think we can find out if it's a boy or a girl?"

"Maybe. It won't be for sure until the sixteen week appointment." I reply. "At this early their parts are still a little swollen. When my Mom got her twelve week appointment with me, the doctor told her I was a boy. A month later I was a girl." I laugh a little.

"Well you don't have any boy parts. I would know. I've seen more parts of you than you have," he wiggles his eyebrows at me and I roll my eyes.

A moment later, the nurse walks in.

"You guys are having the testing done today, right?" she asks.

"Right." I nod.

"Okay, I'm going to have to take some blood. Just a little finger prick." She smiles gently.