Chapter Fourteen

I stand there for a moment, feeling the water slowly drizzle out of my body.

My hands shake nervously as my Mom starts texting me a ton of questions.

I open the phone app and frantically dial Liam.

It rings all the way through and then goes to voicemail, so I try him again and again and again.

He's working. He probably can't pick up the phone.

He's an hour and a half way and I'm standing in a puddle of the fluid that has kept the baby alive for the last nine months.

Breathe. You need a plan.

I dial Sofie, but she goes to voicemail too, so I try Mason.

He doesn't answer.

"Fuck!" I explode.

Noah. Noah lives here now.

I dial him frantically.

It rings four times and then stops.

"Wassup prego?" he asks.

"My water just broke and nobody's home!" I say. "What do I do? It's still coming out! How long can he go without this shit? What do I do? Liam isn't answering the phone!"

"I'm coming over." He says.

I feel a strong pain in my stomach and I groan, grabbing onto the arm of the couch.

He has to put his baby in the car and then get here.

This is it. I'm going to die.

I hang up on Noah and try Liam again, but he doesn't answer.

I text him.

Me: MY WATER BROKE

I stare at the message for a minute but it doesn't change.

I waddle to the garage, but the more I move, the more water comes out.

I grab onto the shelf that holds all the tools when another pain comes, which is obviously a contraction, and moan in pain.

When it passes, I grab a ton of towels and make my way back to the living room.

I put them on the floor to help clean up the puddle and try Liam again, but he doesn't answer.

What do I do? Do I call his old boss to call his new boss to call my husband?

I need to sit down right now.

I waddle to the kitchen and sit down at the table, clenching the side as another contraction hits.

I text Sofie.

Me: MY WATER BROKE

I send the same message to Mason and force myself to control my breathing.

I look down at my baby bump.

"You need to wait for Daddy, okay? You need to wait for Daddy. I can't do this without Daddy."

I feel my eyes well with tears and I press my palm to my forehead.

God, how did I go from a cramp to my water breaking? Did I sleep through contractions?

I need help. I need a plan.

I don't have a plan.

I try Liam again, but he doesn't answer, so I text him.

Me: LIAM WILLIAM CABRARO

Me: I AM IN LABOR

Another contraction starts and I moan in pain and cling to the table.