Chapter Twenty Two

I sit on the bed with Theo nursing as Liam sits a few feet across from me at the end of the bed. My back rests against the pillows and he has a whole list of questions he wrote down.

He's taking this whole getting me ready thing very seriously, and I'm so grateful.

"Alright, let me set down a few ground rules," he says. "Right now, you are actually not nursing our son, got it?"

Smiling, I nod.

"I am not your husband, your best friend, or the person who sleeps with you all the time, okay?" I nod again. "Right now, I am Liam Cabraro, a very hotshot doctor who is hiring some nurses. Treat me like you would treat the interviewer. No laughing at me, okay?"

"Okay...sir."

I snort, and he grins widely and rolls his eyes.

"Okay, seriously though baby, you really want this job. This is like, your dream job, you've been talking about this for years. I need to provide for my princess and make sure you're happy, which means we really need to be serious."

"Okay, alright," I nod.

"Okay, lets get started."

"Alright."

He looks down at his paper and clears his throat, glancing over his words.

"So tell me a little bit about yourself, Savannah. Where are you from? What makes you interested in the nursing position in the postpartum unit?"

"Wait, I have to tell them about myself?" I ask him.

"Yes sweetie, they're going to ask you. I know your mind automatically goes to your kidnapping, so we need to find something to say." He urges me. "Now go on, answer the question. There's no judgement here."

I remove Theo from my breast and he starts screaming in protest. I flip him to the other side and move him, guiding my nipple into his mouth.

He latches, and I sigh.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?"

I know he understands that I'm going to be paying more attention in the actual interview, so he looks back at his sheet.

"Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where are you from? What makes you interested in the nursing position in the postpartum unit?" he reads off of his paper. He looks back at me and waits.

After a second, I clear my throat.

"So, I am originally from Hawaii, but I moved to Oregon to go to University of Oregon. I graduated there with my nursing degree. During the summers, I volunteered at an obstetricians office, and I originally fell in love with the happiness that follows it. All of the excited new mothers is amazing, and I realized that while pregnancy was beautiful, being around while new parents navigate parenting is even better. I love the pace of the postpartum unit, and the atmosphere. I feel like postpartum nurses have their own personality, and I found myself getting along easily with all of them when I was in the hospital having my son. I love the...you know, where you have the fast pace at times and you sort of have to use quick thinking. And, you know, that's why the postpartum unit appeals to me."

"Oh my god babe, you're getting that job!" Liam says.

"You only asked me one question," I smile.

"I don't care. If you walk in there and don't get hired, they're going to have to explain themselves to me, and then I'm going to ramble on and on about you and how smart and talented you are until their ears start bleeding and they hire you just to shut my up," he says to me.