Chapter Twelve

A hand gently shakes my shoulder.

I stir slightly, shifting in bed.

I reach for Liam, but all my hand grabs are cold sheets.

Confused, I blink in the darkness and look at the figure standing over me.

There's a light on somewhere in the house and it's flooding in the room through the open door.

I can see long hair. It's Sofie.

"Are you up?" she whispers.

"I am now," I mumble.

"You need to come out here," she mumbles.

"What time is it?"

"Three thirty." She replies.

"Three thirty?!" I whisper shout. "In the morning?"

"Yes."

"You better have a good reason for waking me up when I'm thirty seven weeks pregnant," I whisper to her.

"Liam is crying."

I frown.

"What?"

"He woke up Mason an hour ago and he's drunk and crying. He told us not to wake you up, but he's on his eighth beer and he won't listen to us when we tell him to stop."

I rub my eyes and stand up.

Why is Liam crying? And he's drunk?

I've seen him drunk one time and it was on his twenty first birthday.

"I've seen boys sad, Savannah. He needs his wife."

I run my fingers through my hair and nod, walking for the door.

Sofie leads the way to the kitchen table.

I flinch away from the light and see Mason sitting there with his hand against his forehead, watching Liam, who's clutching a beer like it's his lifeline with tears streaming down his cheeks.

Mason looks at me and looks physically relieved. Liam looks at me and attempts to hide his beer, but end up dropping it.

"Why are you awake?" he sniffles. "Are you okay?" he stands up, stepping on shards of glass, and then he starts cussing and stumbles around the kitchen for a minute.

Sofie grabs a rag and starts to wipe up the beer.

Liam hops over to the fridge and pulls out another beer.

"Are you sure you want another one?" Mason asks him gently.

"I'm just getting a drink," Liam mumbles.

"You should take a break," I suggest softly.

"No, I'm thirsty." He pulls the beer to his chest and hugs it like it's a child.

"I'll get you a water," I tell him.

I reach for his beer, but he hops backwards, shaking his head.

"Come on Buddy, give me the beer," I reach my hand out for it. "I promise you can have another one after you have some water."

"No, you won't give it back," he shakes his head frantically. "Don't take it. It's mine."

"I'll give it back-"

"Don't lie to me, Savannah! I'm not stupid!" he snaps at me. "Don't touch my beer!"

"Liam," I try again.