Chapter Four

~Thursday 30th November 2017~

"You went for a long ride," Vant sighed, seeing Eternity lingering in the doorway, that knowing look on her face.

"I needed to think, Prosper needed a good run, seemed like a win-win situation," walking past Eternity into the kitchen, Vant shrugged off his jacket and hung it up.

"You don't usually wear that, where's your other jacket?" Vant very nearly ignored Eternity's question, not really in the mood for an interrogation, though it wasn't fair to take out his dark mood on her.

"Alwynn has it," he muttered, collecting his phone and checking if he had any messages.

"You like that boy, Vant," looking up, Vant saw Eternity was wearing her usual gentle smile, content and non-judgemental, "I can smell it on you, why don't you act on your feelings?"

"He's too young," Vant said plainly, leaning against the counter.

"Everest was sixteen when you met her."

"I didn't want to fuck Everest every time I set eyes on her," Vant retorted dryly with a roll of his eyes.

"That isn't my point, Vant, and you know it. However, on that note, if you're having such a prominent physical reaction, surely that is indicative that you should be paying attention to these feelings," Eternity Bayer, the fucking therapist, how proud Vant should have been.

"Eternity, I'm not really sure you know what you're talking about," Eternity scoffed, shaking her head.

"Vant, I have been with you for over two thousand years, I know you almost as well as you know yourself. And I know exactly why this behaviour is occurring," Vant awaited the elaboration, folding his arms over his chest, "you're afraid of turning him, you're afraid he'll have the same reaction as Heiress."

"I'm so glad to be this easy to read," Vant muttered sarcastically, "you're incredibly insightful Eternity."

"You can't deny my observation, Vant, you're afraid of turning another human and losing the love you have for them. I've watched you go through that four times since you turned me, and none of them has been the same as how you're acting with Alwynn. I promise you, Vant, whether it's just that it's been nearly a millennium since your last turning, or something else entirely, forcing yourself to ignore your primal desires is going to hurt you far more than creating a new child for this family."

"You don't have any experience in this matter, Eternity," Vant smiled feebly, "I appreciate the therapy session but you don't know what you're talking about."

"So you're not afraid? I don't believe that, Vant, you might be able to kid yourself but I'm not fooled that easily," Eternity stepped closer, resting her hands atop Vant's forearm, "I know how easily you fall in love, and I know how much it tears you up inside when you lose that affection. I've lived through that, Vant, don't you forget it. It may have been two millennia ago but I still remember the feelings, they'll be a part of me forever," Vant sighed, his expression darkening with the clouds that rolled into fog his mind.

"I don't want him to become my child," he admitted glumly, "I want him to be mine, I want to spend my eternity with him as my lover, not my son. But the moment I turn him, he'll look at me differently, and we won't be lovers, we'll be family," Eternity smiled sympathetically, running the backs of her knuckles down his cheek.

"You don't know that, Vant, maybe this time it will be different. Maybe you'll have finally met the man who can resist that change in character when he turns. And, if not, I imagine that person won't be too far away," leaning up, Eternity pressed a chaste kiss to Vant's cheek, "you'll find love soon, I promise," Vant wrapped his arms around Eternity's waist, engulfing her in a compassionate hug, staring blankly at the wall opposite, wishing her words meant something. Wishing they would be true.