Epilogue

~Friday 20th July 2018~

"Honestly, Zaith, it's fine. A few hours won't make much of a difference," Alwynn assured his maker, waving briefly at a familiar face as he strolled down through the streets of his new home town. Italy certainly was beautiful in the summer, as Vant had mentioned before they moved out there months before.

"I just hate to alter your plans, Ali."

"You're gonna be delayed by five hours, Zaith, it's not like Vant and I planned on anything big for tonight anyway. We thought you might want to just settle in and relax, please stop worrying," Alwynn slowed to a stop, his eyes flickering over the bouquets of flowers laid carefully over the little stall.

"OK, if you're sure it's not too much of an inconvenience."

"Even if it was, what could I do about it? I can't commandeer a plane and fly you myself," Alwynn chuckled, taking out some spare change from his back pocket and placing it in the outstretched palm of the stall attendant, collecting a bouquet of pale blue orchids and continuing down the street along his journey home.

"I suppose you're right," Zaith murmured, his voice suddenly getting distant when he relayed the information to his husband, who probably had just returned from pestering someone. Impatience was something the two certainly shared.

"Look, I'll see you later, OK? Have a safe flight," Alwynn knew although Zaith had far too much money than he needed, a lengthy bill from an overseas call wasn't really necessary.

"OK, we will do, I'll call you when we land," Alwynn slipped his phone back into his pocket when Zaith hung up, taking a moment to stop and admire the tide whilst it was in, lapping at the sea wall.

The sun was just setting, creating a beautiful contrast between the red tones staining the sky and the dark blue rolling through the waves below. Alwynn adored the little town he and Vant had moved to, he had loved it right from the second he stepped off the plane. He had expected to miss the town he had grown up in yet never felt any shade of regret for the decisions he had made.

He felt safe in his new home with Vant and their family, he couldn't ever dream of going back to his roots. Not that he had the option to anyway, he was dead to the world around him, or missing at the very least. It was a little disheartening to not be walked down the aisle by his father on his wedding day, or hear a toast from his mother that would have brought tears to his eyes. Then again, he had been surrounded by family that day, just not the ones he had grown up with for seventeen years. And the decision to never be found was one he would make a thousand times over, the benefits far outweighing any hindrances.

Zaith had given him away, and Syed had taken no time at all to think of a beautiful speech that Alwynn would never forget. They had truly made Alwynn's wedding day perfect, so much so that the boy hadn't had time to wonder what it would have been like with his real parents there, he was too busy enjoying himself. As he should have been.

Alwynn had never understood the bond between sire and child before he had been blessed with his own, it really was indescribable. Alwynn had only known Zaith a little over six months and, yet, he loved him like the father who had raised him all his life. If not even more.

Alwynn: Zaith and Syed's flight is delayed, they won't be in until late. Maybe we could take that walk by ourselves ;) x. Alwynn rested the bouquet of flowers on the wall he was leaning against whilst he texted his husband, a subtle smile curving his lips.

Daddy: I like the idea, sweet boy. When are you gonna be home? Marabella isn't keeping you late again, is she? X.

Alwynn: I'm on my way now, Mara wanted me to stay a little later but I said I couldn't because Zaith and Syed would be here soon x. Alwynn never minded staying later at work, even though Vant did sometimes speculate that his boss, Marabella, took advantage of him. Alwynn didn't believe that, Marabella merely wanted to help him get his qualifications as quickly as possible, which he couldn't be more grateful for.