Chapter Twenty-Nine

~Sunday 31st December 2017~

"Did you sleep well?" Vant inquired, hearing Alwynn shuffle into the kitchen. He kept his eyes on the pancakes he was cooking, not wanting to burn them, Alwynn needed to be taken good care of that day after the night before.

"No," Alwynn grumbled, draping his arms around Vant's waist from behind and resting his head on his back, "didn't help that you weren't there, did you come to bed at all last night?" Vant smiled sympathetically, lifting Alwynn's hand and brushing his lips over the knuckles.

"No, I was on the phone to your parents and the police all night. I kept checking in on you though, I managed to nap around three in my office," Vant's smile grew as Alwynn slid under his arm and hugged him from the front instead, "how about you have some breakfast and then we go sleep for a little while? Your parents are gonna come over when their flight gets in, I can have Ev wake us up when they get here."

"Mmm, sounds good, I'm not hungry though. Can't we just-"

"No, you're eating, Ali," Vant interrupted firmly, "I let it slide that you didn't have any dinner last night because you were in shock. You're having breakfast," Vant sighed when Alwynn stepped away from him, scowling like a sulking toddler.

"Just because you make me call you daddy doesn't mean you have to act like my real father," Vant cocked an eyebrow, just about catching Alwynn's grumble as he slumped to the other end of the kitchen.

"Make you? Ali, I've never made you call me that, in fact, you called me it all on your own if you remember correctly. If you have a problem with it then please, voice it," Vant knew his voice was a little too harsh, with irritation laced into it when he shouldn't have been so offended by what Alwynn had said.

"I don't have a problem with that, although the whole never having a second of private thought is really starting to get on my nerves," Alwynn snapped, crossing his arms over his chest. Vant rolled his eyes, collecting a plate from one of the cupboards.

"You live in a house of vampires, Ali, we can't just switch off our senses, that's not how it works," Vant placed the plate of pancakes next to Alwynn on the counter, "eat."

"I told you, I'm not hungry," Alwynn was just acting like a child by that point, then again, that's what Vant deserved for dating one. He couldn't have Alwynn without putting up with the immaturity that came with a teenager.

"You're not gonna eat? Fine. We're not gonna fuck and I'm not drinking from you at all until you do. I'm not gonna have you pass out and have that on my conscience," Vant muttered almost venomously, slinging a coat over his shoulders, "I have to go clean out the horses, you should rest, or you really will pass out," Vant didn't wait to see if Alwynn had any sort of apology, with him being more than stubborn enough to hold a grudge for longer than required. He stalked up to the stables, deciding to take Prosper out for a ride instead. He knew he could be unreasonable when he lost his temper and didn't want to argue anymore with Alwynn if happened to follow him up to the stables.

Prosper seemed to notice that Vant was in a foul mood, being more than compliant when the saddle was strapped onto him. Usually, he would whinny and fidget, wanting more attention from Vant but he simply stood still that day, allowing the man to attach everything he needed to in little time.

Settling himself onto Prosper, Vant opted to go along one of the shorter trails, even though the horse could have really done with a longer ride that day. It would only be around a fifteen-minute ride, which was enough time for Vant to calm down, he shouldn't really leave Alwynn any longer, not with his parents getting there at some point.

Maybe he had been too harsh with Alwynn, Vant thought as Prosper trotted down the path, he didn't know everything about that boy, he could have had a problem with food in the past. It wasn't really very fair for Vant to push him so much, not when he didn't know the full story.