Chapter Twenty-Three

~Saturday 23rd December 2017~

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Eternity asked, breaking the moments of silence that had blanketed the car since they had set off from Vant's house.

"Why wouldn't it be?" Vant opted for feigned innocence, believing his daughter would see it as curiosity. She had more conscience than him, hence why he always went to her for advice.

"I'm just not sure whether Alwynn will agree with it. And keeping this from him in the first place, what are you going to tell him if he finds out?"

"I intend for him to find out," Vant flashed Eternity a compassionate smile, the complete opposite of the bemused frown that she adorned, "I'm not going to withhold anything from him, if he asks I'll tell him what I did. I doubt he's going to be particularly angry if I rid him of his abuser," Eternity rolled her pretty eyes, obviously still not convinced by what Vant had said despite it being the complete truth.

"So you're doing this for yourself then, really, you want him to see you as his hero?"

"No, Eternity," Vant muttered with a sigh, "I'm doing this because that fucker is hurting Alwynn, my Alwynn, and just the thought of it makes my blood boil. He's blackmailing him into sex, Eternity, who in their right mind would allow that to happen?"

"Who in their right mind would think of murder as the first suitable solution to the problem?" Eternity countered, probably very proud of her little comment, her confidence knocked immediately when Vant shrugged blankly.

"What ever gave you the idea that I was in my right mind?" Vant grinned, stepping out of the car, "you don't have to come with me, y'know, you can stay in the car and be none the wiser," Eternity shook her head, stepping from the car also and shutting the door quietly.

"What would be the point of me joining you then? It would be a wasted trip, you better not get anything on my shoes though, they're new," Vant chuckled at the lack of empathy his daughter conveyed, she had gotten her emotions under strict control centuries ago. One little murder was nothing in comparison to what both she and Vant had indulged in over their time together.

Walking in toe with Eternity, Vant crossed the street to number twenty-nine Immaire, suppressing the urge to simply break down the ugly green door before him and rip the resident to pieces. He wanted Nolan scared, wanted him to experience the fear, pain and misery that he caused for Alwynn. He was intent on making the man suffer.

"Mr Bayer?" Nolan seemed surprised at Vant's presence, good, "to what do I owe the pleasure?" Nolan adorned that hideous smile that he had worn the last time the two had met, although back then Vant just found the man to be sleazy, not as aggravating as he was that day.

"I was just wondering if we could discuss some things about my granddaughter's enrollment in your school, if I'm not interrupting anything that is," if he was, Vant wouldn't be leaving anyway, he would just move forward with his plan at a faster pace, cutting out the majority of the fun stuff sadly.

"Of course not, please, come inside," Vant entered Nolan's little house, very nearly grimacing at the sight, he had become rather snobbish in his old age. Glancing toward Eternity, who remained silent and barely noticed at his side, Vant followed the man into his living room, sitting on the couch when he was instructed.

"May I get you anything to drink?"

"No," Vant replied in a blunt tone, realising he was allowing the anger residing him to stray too close to the surface, "thank you," he added, hoping Nolan wasn't picking up too much on his tense nature.