Chapter 9

It was a chilly night on the abandoned downtown streets. Spring had just begun, so some nights were still colder than others. Unfortunately for me, I forgot to grab my coat and was left with only my hoodie. I wrapped my arms around myself and continued on down Portage Avenue getting lost in my own thoughts.

I couldn't wrap my head around the thought of Ace lying to me. I know we don't know each other at all, but for some reason I had already put my trust in him. I always tended to be closed off and I guess the thought of never having a mate my whole life made me instantly attached when I did meet my mate. I thought he was making a sacrifice for his pack, something I could understand, but after learning he lied to me, it seems like he truly does not want me.

My heart broke a little more with each passing thought. I have almost never doubted myself, always tried to be confident and proud of myself, but the thought of not being good enough for my mate, truly crushed me. I didn't think it was possible to feel something more painful than I have felt in the past. Every new doubt, felt like another knife to my chest. A few stray tears rolled down my cheeks that I quickly wiped away.

All thoughts left my mind the instant the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. My instincts kicked in just in time to dodge the hand that went to grab my arm. I quickly turned around and evaluated the three bulky men standing in front of me. They all got into a fighting stance, their dark red eyes watching my every move. I took my own stance and created two orbs of energy in my hands as the man to my right charged at me.

I started firing off at him while taking a few steps back. He was able to grab onto my left arm but not for long as I wrap my right hand his throat and froze his body instantly. I lift up my leg and shove his frozen statue off of me, shattering him into a million pieces.

One dead, two to go.

I didn't have time to think long as the other two charged at me quicker than the last. Both got some hits in, sending me to the ground before they started kicking me. I took a few more hits, evaluating their strength. I could tell they were told not to kill me, or they would have attempted to already. Telling by their strength, they were definitely supernatural, but their red eyes let me know that they were clearly werewolves and rogues.

I used a blast of energy to send one of the men flying across the pathway before I grabbed the others leg and tripped him. He landed on the ground with a thud as I quickly jumped on top of him and started throwing punches.

"Who sent you here?" I demanded.

The man laughed, spitting up blood on himself before trying to shove me off, but was too weak to do so. Suddenly, the other rogue, that had been laying on the other side of the pathway, grabbed one of my sleeves with his extended claws and ripped it off, leaving a large scratch down arm. The man below me took that as his advantage to flip us over and landing his own hits. I block as many as I could before  using all my strength to shove him off. He went to charge at me again, but I grabbed his arm and flipped him onto his back once again before grabbing his throat and freezing his body. I shattered his body, it was easier this way if I needed to kill, that way there weren't any bodies left around.

I looked around for the last rogue, but came up short. He was nowhere to be found.

"Fuck." I mutter as I pulled out my phone. The rogue ran away with a piece of my clothing, meaning he had my scent with him and could pass it along. I dialled my sister's number as I marched back towards the hotel, she answered after a few rings.

"Marilynn! What's up?" Izzy asked in her usual bubbly tone.

"Isabella, listen to me. You and Liam need to leave immediately. Don't pack anything. Grab your cash and get on the first flight back to the pack." I demanded through the phone. Isabella may be more powerful and dominant than me, but when it came to her safety, she has been trained to listen to me without question.

"But Mary... Ok we'll be gone in five." She hung up the phone, her mind probably going a mile a minute.

I called Timothy next and he answered immediately.

"Marilynn! Where the fuck did you go?" He asked, clearly mad.

"Now is not the time. I need you to collect everything from our room and Izzy's room. Be prepared to leave in twenty minutes." I explained.

"What? You can't just expect me to-"

"Do what I say and I'll explain later." I interrupted as the hotel came into view.

I hid behind a corner and saw Liam and Izzy quickly jump into a cab that sped off. I waited another ten minutes before entering the hotel. Luckily it was late so no one saw the creepy, beat up girl walking through the halls. I slipped back into my room unnoticed and saw Timothy shoving things into bags. Once he noticed I was back, his eyes grew wide as he took in my appearance.

"What the hell happened to you?" He asked as he approached me to inspect my injuries.

"Nothing I'm fine. We need to go." I mutter before going over to the bags and packing them up. I noticed Liam's and Izzy's bags were already by the door so Timothy was efficient.

"Wait hold on!" Timothy rushes over to me again and gently pushed my on the bed. "You need to take a minute and explain what is going on. Your arm is bleeding and you have bruises everywhere. Where the hell did you go?"

I decided to listen to Timothy. My heart was erratic and my thoughts were jumbled. I couldn't think clearly in this state. I took a few deep breaths and soon enough my adrenaline died down enough that I could feel the extent of my injuries. I let out a small groan and leaned on Timothy for support.

"Grab the first aid kit from my bag." He quickly went to retrieve it before opening the kit and began cleaning the claw marks left on my arm. I sighed and decided I would explain the best that I could.

"There's someone looking for us and I bumped into a few of his goons. They were trying to kidnap me or something like that, they made no move to kill so that's what I assume. I killed two of them, but another got away." I explained.

"Damn, I wouldn't want to be on your bad side." Timothy muttered as he wrapped up my arm before cleaning my other cuts.

"We'll have to drive back home, I can't be near Izzy and even you being around me puts your life in danger. They have my scent now and I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a bounty out for me." I shook my head and sighed again. This was getting out of hand, I really needed to kill that bastard.

"Don't worry about me." Timothy reassured. "I can handle myself, but we should be going. There's a car rental place a few blocks up."

I nodded and we collected all the bags before walking over the few blocks to get a vehicle. Timothy decided to drive first so I made myself comfortable in the passenger seat. Within minutes, darkness consumed me and I fell into a dreamless sleep.