xxxi - grief

"WHAT'S WITH THE CHARGERS?" Namjoon asks when he sees the older shoving phone chargers into his bag after opening the door to his room. Seokjin shrugs, zipping the bag before turning around to Namjoon.

"Took you long enough," he rolls his eyes, "but it's okay. I'm already done packing things up."

Namjoon raises an eyebrow, an amused smile formed on his face. "I thought you still couldn't do it on your own, but you proved me wrong."

"You done with yours already?"

Closing the door, Namjoon hums as if thinking about it as he walks toward Jin's bed, taking a seat. "I guess not. Maybe a few more papers to organize then I'm done." He looks over to Jin who scoots next to him, and now the two of them are staring at the door whereas a moment of awkward silence is about to fill in the empty room.

Jin couldn't think of anything else to ask. He is running out of questions so he decides to go with it anyway. "Did you sleep well last night?"

It takes a while before the guy beside him answers, a deep sigh escaping his lips. "I . . . don't know."

"What did you do a while ago?" he asks. "I hope you don't mind me asking you about why were you awake already at a time so early, probably focused on something on your desk?"

"It's nothing," Namjoon lies. He cannot believe it. He just lied to the person he's been telling his thoughts to. This is the first time he did it, and like a sudden burst of flame, he can feel the guilt slowly building up inside him. He stares down at the old, faded cement, not wanting to meet eyes with Seokjin.

"Are you . . . sure that those papers you were holding are nothing else?"

"I'm certain, Jin." He manages in the quickest way possible, regaining his composure as he closes his eyes. And after he did what he has to do to keep himself calm, he can no longer hear any more questions to press on him further from Seokjin.

Just when silence gets to have the opportunity to take over again, the older heaves a sigh, wondering what might be talked about to spend the remaining time before the others wake. But in his mind, after a passage of seconds, not even one topic can be seen in it. Except one question, so he decides to go for it. "Did you take your medicine?" he asks.

"Oh." Namjoon seems surprised, slowly making his hand go way up to scratch the back of his neck. "I guess I forgot."

"Spill the beans, Joon."

The sudden change of mood sends uneasiness down Namjoon's spine. So Seokjin still hasn't stopped from bringing up the subject about those papers Namjoon was holding, and yet he is trying to figure out of any way to bring the topic back to the loop, which to Namjoon's part, doesn't make it any easier. He looks away again. "Why are you pressing this on me?"

"Because I want to know what those papers contain," Jin tells him. "I know you're trying to figure this whole thing out by yourself, but don't forget that I'm still here to help you, ungrateful jerk."

Namjoon rolls his eyes. "Okay, fine. I promise I'll tell you about it, but not now, please." He sighs. "I—I need some time to think."

Jin looks at him for a moment, wondering why is his friend being like this. He's been worried about him for a long time, since when Namjoon told him that he's determined to find out the root of the destructive phenomenon that wiped out humanity on earth. Just by the thought of it makes him want to stop time and lend out a hug to Namjoon. The guy has been restless ever since clues have started to link with one another, and now that they found something—the camera footage, Jin doesn't even know if Namjoon can take this any further.