xxxiv - hindrances

𝚈 𝙾 𝙾 𝙽 𝙶 𝙸

«FIVE HOURS AGO»

THE FIRST THING I EXPECTED WAS SEEING A CABIN FILLED WITH PEOPLE.

As we near the cabin, I realize how high it is perched on top of the edge of the cliff. The fact that this place is isolated miles away from the town we managed to pass through, it feels no better due to the chilling winter air circulating the place whereas each pile of withered leaves are situated under huge, willowy trees surrounding the area. My body shudders when the wind sweeps through me.

Just as we reach the porch, Seokjin braces himself to kick the door with his foot as he expects it to break down instantly, only to have himself groan in pain when the door doesn't even budge to the slightest.

"Tell me no one saw that." The tips of his ears flush in embarrassment as he looks away from us. Ironically, no one replies back to him.

"I'll just burn the knob," I say monotonously, taking a step forward. A warm sensation ignites inside of my body; it travels from within my chest outwards until it snakes all the way to my right arm. My palm now feels warmer, the heat rising as tiny tongues of flames emerge. I let it touch the doorknob; the metal clinks in reaction to the fire-it melts slowly as a couple of seconds pass.

"Be careful with the rest," says Namjoon. "The cabin itself is made of wood."

"I've always been careful." My voice raises to a hint of annoyance, my eyes not leaving the melting knob. It disintegrates completely, and with a small push, the door finally swings open by itself.

We enter the cabin. Its interior welcomes us with a room of shadows, met with the unnerving silence. It looks as if it were abandoned. A mixed scent of dust and rust fills the cold air as it enters our nostrils, making a few of us cough. Other than that, something smells. . . different.

"Jinyoung," I say, "where are they now?" I turn to face him. He wanders around, yet there is no sign of anyone in the cabin. Why is he still looking for them?

"You sure do tell us the truth," says Seokjin warily . "There's no one in here."

"But we still haven't checked upstairs!" Jinyoung points to a set of stairs leading to the upper floor. Desperation is present in his voice, making me look somewhere to the other side and my eyes darting towards an opened door which is set opposite to the stairs. Out in the darkness, something seems to be fidgeting. A creaking sound sends a ringing to my ears, making me flick my eyes back to Jinyoung but he is already on his way towards the stairs.

Namjoon, to my surprise, takes a step further, "LOOKOUT!-"

He also saw it.

An inhumane wail fills the entire room. Before anyone else could take a step forward, Jinyoung screams as he is sent flying into the air, his body crashing against the wall with a loud thud after it collided with something else. The creature screeches while it grasps onto Jinyoung, clawing him all over his body.

"JINYOUNG!" I yell.

"GET OFF ME!" he screams, his hand grabbing onto the creature's hair. In less than a second, frost spreads all over its body. It freezes before it could take its opportunity on digging its teeth into Jinyoung shoulder. He kicks it off to the side. I run in an instant to help him get up just as Taehyung takes the chance to smash a piece of oakwood he managed to grab nearby onto the zombie's distorted face.

"I didn't see that." Jinyoung pants, inhaling deeply. Sweat rolls down all over his face, my eyes catching sight of fresh bruises on his wrist. "I-I'm sorry. I got ahead of myself-"