eight - an innocent soul

Finn fell asleep before he could read through the file, his brain overworking until it forced him to pass out instantly. He woke up to a start, loud voices making his tired brain ache. He growled, burying his head back into the pillow until the voice became familiar, his body automatically stiffening with curiosity. He crept up from his bed up to the door, pressing his ear against the other side to listen. After struggling to hear, he let the door open to the smallest crack so that he could peek into the hallway, his eyes narrowing at what he saw. 

"Where is it?" Robert was asking in a rough voice. 

Finn's eyes switched to Millie who was practically trembling under his glare, her eyes wide with fear. She was dressed in her usual neat attire, but her blouse was slightly creased as if she had been playing with the fabric nervously. She stumbled over her words, looking at her father with pleading eyes as the vein popped out of his neck angrily. 

"I-I don't know, father. P-Please tell me what has gone missing..I-I can help look or-"

"No" Robert practically snarled. "I told you I don't want you going in my study anymore. I know that you have it."

Millie's eyes filled with tears as she whimpered slightly. "I-I told you that I didn't go in there yesterday. I didn't take anything, I swear."

"Hand it over" Robert held his hand out with a sharp glare, "Now."

"I don't know what you're talking about" she cried, wiping her tears away with her dainty fingers. "Please b-believe me, f-father...what is it that has gone missing?"

Finn's eyes closed guilty at her tears, the delicate drops sliding down the soft slopes of her cheekbones. He wanted to speak up, to tell Robert that he had the file and that Millie had done nothing wrong, but he knew that he couldn't do that. He couldn't blow his cover and letting Millie take the fall for something that she didn't do, it made him feel terrible. He could do nothing other than watch her cry and hope that her father wouldn't punish her too badly or lay a finger on her small form. 

"Something important" Robert seethed, pointing a chubby finger in her face, "and it is your fault. You will have to pay the price, Millie."

Her voice was shaky. "Y-Yes, father."

He closed his eyes tightly, pinching his forehead with his thumb and forefinger before glaring at her harshly. "If only you could stay still and do as you're goddamn told for once. You are not to leave your room for the rest of the day, I will have the maids bring you up some food. I don't want a word spoken from your lips, got it?"

Millie sniffled lightly, looking down at her feet. "Y-Yes, f-father..."

Robert knelt down slightly to her height and looked her in the eyes condescendingly. Millie looked down at her feet nervously as he scanned her appearance, scoffing slightly. She was trembling as he took a lock of her hair between his fingers roughly before dropping it down instantly like it disgusted him. 

"Try to make yourself look presentable, yes?"

She nodded and let out a small whimper as soon as he walked away, his footsteps echoing down the corridor. Finn clenched his eyes shut and watched the girl with a sick feeling in his stomach, genuinely feeling bad for what she had to go through. He wanted nothing more than to put a bullet between that man's eyes and not just because of his business deals, but because of what a piece of shit he was to his family. They deserved better, both Millie and her mother radiating sweetness like pretty flowers, innocently little roses blowing delicately in the wind trying not to get stamped on. Finn closed his door gently as she ran back to her room crying, wishing that he could chase after her.