twenty two - safety net

song - When I Look At You by Miley Cyrus

~"When I look at you, I see forgiveness
I see the truth
You love me for who I am
Like the stars hold the moon
Right there where they belong
And I know I'm not alone"~

There was something that had changed within him, every single thought and idea tracing back to the same brunette. Finn had been so used to dealing with everything on his own, completely caught in the darkness with nobody to think of but himself. He would sit on that roof looking up at the stars, perhaps so that he wouldn't notice how alone he was. Back then he liked it that way, liked not having anybody else to care about because it made everything hurt so much less. But now that he had looked into her eyes and been blinded by her bright smile, Finn could not imagine a single day of being without her. He knew that he would be lost, like everything in his world had grown a little colder. Now whenever he made a single decision or thought back to what was important, there was one face in his mind, her gentle caramel yes tracing back to everything. He couldn't stop thinking about her, and not just making sure that she was okay, but making sure that she was happy

When Millie said that she wanted him to drive them back to her house, so that she could stay in her own bed, he immediately winced. He watched her on the drive back, glancing at her every couple of minutes to make sure that she was sure about this, that she would be able to handle it. He thought that it would be too painful, the house riddled with nothing but bad memories but she claimed that she needed to go back. He didn't really understand why, until one day when he came back from getting food, noticing her clutching something in her hands. 

Her small  body was curled up on her bed, the sheets still satin and soft, something that should have felt like home to her. But nothing felt like home, because she didn't have a family anymore. Finn dropped the food on her desk, his face full of worry as she clutched onto some kind of photograph, her face covered in tears. She wouldn't let him hear her cry, the tears rolling down her cheeks softly as she held in her rough sobs, not wanting to let go for the fear that she would never be able to stop. Finn crawled next to her on the bed, hovering above her with concern all over his face, wiping her tears away gently. It was only when he noticed what was in her hands, that he understood, the family portrait of them something that used to hang in the living room. Millie's smile was forced and her posture stiff, her fathers hand rough on her back while her mother clutched onto his thick arm, but it was her family nonetheless. 

"You miss them, don't you?" he asked weakly, stroking her hair. 

Millie nodded, trying not to whimper as she opened her mouth shakily. "I-I thought that if I came back here it would feel normal, you know? I thought it would feel like h-home but it doesn't because they're n-not here..."

Finn swallowed. "You wanted to come back here to feel closer to them, right?"

"I just want my mother back" she whispered brokenly, tightening her hold on the photograph. "I-I know that she is safe but I need to see her. I need to know that she is okay, s-she must be so worried and scared..."

He wiped a stray tear away, wishing that he could do something. He hated nothing more than seeing her cry, sadness looking so wrong on her bright face, her sweet covered up by a frown. It made his chest ache as if he wanted to cry with her, and he wanted to tear the sadness away from her and inject it into his own limbs. He would take all of the pain in the world if it meant that she never cried another tear. Finn let out a shaky breath, not knowing what he could do to help as he was never used to comforting someone. He needed to practice but more than anything, he wanted Millie to feel like she always had someone, no matter how alone she felt. He could not bring back her father but if being there simply helped, he was willing to stay by her side until he could no longer stand.