eighteen - hold me closer

song - When The Party's Over by Billie Eilish 

~"Don't you know too much already
I'll only hurt you if you let me
Call me friend but keep me closer 
And I'll call you when the party's over"~

Finn couldn't sleep that night, hearing Millie cry beside him and not allow him to hold her. He begged her to let him comfort her, even if he didn't speak he just wanted to  be there. The hours dragged by as she shivered in the blanket, trying her best to not let him hear her cry. It was all he could hear, her sobs and whimpers making it feel like he couldn't even breathe, his chest heaving with the pain of not being able to do anything to help. Every time he tried to push her into his embrace, trapping her in his arms, he felt her fight against him and mutter how much she hated his presence. He didn't want to let her cry alone but part of him was worried that if he continued fighting against her, she might never let him near her again. 

He had stolen a car as soon as she stopped crying, picking up her exhausted body and placing her in the backseat so that she could lie down. He could hardly drive in the heavy rain, constantly finding himself glancing into his mirror to check that she was alright, although she was just sitting with her face blank of emotion. He stopped at the nearest hotel that he could see, using Millie's credit card after receiving a shrug when he asked her, wanting her to have all of the comfort possible to get her through this sleepless night. She instantly curled up on the bed, turning away from him without a word. 

After a few hours, Finn startled awake and looked around in panic. When he saw that Millie wasn't there, the duvet rumpled beside him, he cursed under his breath at the fact that he somehow fell asleep to the sound of her heavy breathing. 

"Millie?" his voice came out broken and full of panic, "Where are you? Millie, please! Can you hear me? Millie?" 

He looked everywhere in the hotel room, his eyes scanning over the plush bed and fancy tiled bathroom where he hoped to find her. She was nowhere, her purse taken from the beside table from where he had grabbed it on the way out to find them somewhere to stay. Finn's chest started to ache with worry and he hyperventilated, finding himself searching every hallway outside their room to hope that she was wandering around aimlessly instead of in danger. He didn't understand how she could have put herself in such danger, but then he remembered what state of mind she was in and it terrified him even further. 

"Have you seen her?" he asked the receptionist at the front desk with pleading eyes, "she is about five foot four, short curly brown hair and brown eyes...she left our room and I don't know where she has gone..." 

Millie was sat at the front of the hotel bar on a high stool, nursing her fifth martini when Finn arrived, sighing in relief. She glanced at him wordlessly before taking another sip of her drink, biting down on the olive on the edge of her glass with a bitter frown. The bartender gave her another flirty glance while she nursed her drink, watching Finn clench his fists at her blank expression. She knew that he would have inevitably followed her but she had hoped that it was after she had passed out from the alcohol. She had only ever been allowed sips of wine or cocktails at her father's fancy parties but the flirty bartender didn't even ask for her ID after scanning her short silk slip dress and pretty face. 

"Do you know how worried I was?" Finn asked through gritted teeth. 

She ignored him, taking another sip of her cocktail until Finn grabbed it, sliding the glass away from her like a controlling parent. He sat down beside her, glaring at her harshly for making him feel so terrified, when she was getting drunk in a bar.

"You've had enough" he said firmly. 

She scoffed. "I will let you know when I've had enough, thank you."