seventeen - all alone

song - Sorry by Aquilo 

~"I'm sorry that I let you go, I'm sorry that I cared
 I'm sorry that the feeling shows and I just wasn't there
   I'm reminded of the fool I was
  I cut you off and fucked it up again"~

Finn sat in an empty diner, spreading the sugar all over the surface on front of him, swirling into little patterns with his fingers. There was hardly anyone else around, just the young waitress and an older couple in the corner of the room, dancing along to an old jukebox in the corner. Finn sighed, pushing his cap further over his head as they glanced up at him, trying to hide his red eyes and pain filled expression as he realized where he was. He was in an old diner at 10 pm, half an hour before it closed, too broke to buy any food or anything other than the free coffee that the waitress had slid in front of him. Most of all, he was all alone, and maybe that is how it always should have been. 

The past day had been spent walking down different streets, struggling to keep warm after forgetting to grab anything than a thin jumper. He stayed outside of her room until he gave up, hearing her family walk through the door with their guards, knowing that Millie wasn't going to let him stay any further. He grabbed an outfit, pushing a cap over his dark curls as if it would help him to figure out what to do next, perhaps even try to be someone else. 

"You look lonely" the pretty waitress leaned in closer in front of him. 

Finn laughed bitterly. 

She watched him for a few moments, nibbling coyly on her rosy lips as he played with the sugar on the table, making it into the shape of a heart. After a few moments, Finn looked up as another coffee was placed in front of him, his face turning downwards into a frown. 

"I don't need charity" he muttered. 

The waitress rolled her eyes playfully, pushing the coffee in front of him when he tried to move it away. She raised an eyebrow as he frowned at her, eventually giving in with a sigh and taking the free beverage. He tried to ignore her eyes fluttering at him, instead remembering how Millie's eyelashes looked like butterfly wings taking flight against her soft cheeks. The blonde was inwardly sighing, wishing that the gorgeous stranger would take a hint and flirt with her in return, unaware that he was too busy drowning in his own demons to take notice of her. She wished that he was softer with her and appreciative of her company, not knowing that he could only be soft with one particular girl, a girl who now hated his guts. 

She eventually sighed to get his attention, "Jesus, you really don't know how to flirt do you? I want you to have another drink so that you don't leave."

Finn looked down. "Oh-uh, I-"

She smiled sweetly at him. "We can go somewhere after I'm finished and get some other kind of drink if you don't like coffee, hmm?"

They were both interrupted by the sound of a chair clattering from beside him, scrapping against the floor as the girl pulled herself closer next to Finn. Her hair was slightly messy, a black hoodie drowning her small figure as the waitress looked her up and down. She pulled the hood down and revealed her face, Finn looking down wordlessly. She looked up at the waitress for a few moments, smiling sweetly before speaking in a snappy tone. 

"He's not interested."

The waitress held her hands up innocently, continuing to wash up dishes on the other side of the diner as they sat in silence. Finn waited for her to say something, not knowing what he was meant to say or act without coming across like a lovesick fool. They sat in silence, oceans and galaxies between them despite only a few inches of space, the only noise of the 80's song on the jukebox, one which neither of them recognized. Finn finally cleared his throat, refusing to look at her as his voice came out tired and lacking hope.