twenty three - another bullet

song - Heart Like Yours by Willamette Stone

~"How could a heart like yours ever love a heart like mine?
How could I live before?
How could I have been so blind?
You opened up my eyes"~

When Finn had told Millie that he loved her, it meant that his heart belonged to her. The three words, eight letters phrase meant more than they could ever describe, with him not only giving her his trust, but everything that he had left. It always seemed so simple for people to admit their feelings, to surrender to what was consuming them until they were swept into the complicated yet beautiful ride that was love. But to him, it was something that was simmering beneath the surface for a long time, something that he was always afraid to admit as if it was shameful. Part of him was scared because he knew that telling Millie the truth, would immediately put pressure on him whether she was aware of it or not. He would need to be there for her, he would need to treat her how she deserved and made sure that she never had to face anything alone. Most of all, it meant that he needed to put her before anything

Perhaps he was so scared to say the words, because he didn't know if he would be any good at any of that. 

When he had returned that night, he slipped back into her house quietly, only to see her silhouette waiting for him in the darkness of the room. Her skin was glowing underneath the moonlight, looking so soft and she was looking at him with such love in her eyes, looking at him like the goddamn stars. He opened his mouth to explain to her quietly and carefully how as much as she may have hated it, he had to do this in order to get her mother back. But her eyes were filled with so much hope, hope that he couldn't bear to crush. She looked at him like he was so good, and part of him wanted to be for her. 

"I waited for you..." she spoke softly, her smile full of love and light, "is everything okay, Finn? You look freezing."

He hesitated for a moment. "I-I took a walk."

A sick feeling rose up in his stomach as soon as he let the words out, knowing that every lie would keep him in the dark and compact hole that he had started to dig. He held his breath slightly, expecting her to press for further questions or to accuse him of lying, and part of him wanted her to so that maybe he would gain the courage to admit the truth. But when she grinned, throwing her arms around his neck to warm him up in her soft embrace, he melted into her and allowed his dark thoughts to fade away as she kissed him. 

That morning, Millie was standing at the stove while she cooked waffles, dressed in one of Finn's baggy shirts. She knew that they probably looked ridiculous on her but the material was covered in his woodsy yet clean scent, that she couldn't help herself. Finn allowed himself to gulp back his guilt, wrapping his arms around her as he buried his face into her neck. 

"Good morning" she hummed, giggling when he pecked her cheek. 

He grinned into her neck. "It is a good one, isn't it?"

She opened her mouth to ask what he meant, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion, when he turned her around quickly, pressing his lips to hers. His fingers danced at the hem of her shirt, drawing small charges of electricity into the skin brushing the top of her thighs. She sighed, allowing herself to be taken in by his lips for a moment, his tongue tangling with hers until she practically forgot her own name. He bewitched her, every movement skillful as if he could control her and make her surrender with nothing but his hands and lips. She knew that she was completely under his spell. 

"F-Finn..." she pulled away with a small gasp as he trailed his lips down her jawline. "F-Finn...b-breakfast. It will b-bur-"

"I don't care" he shut her up instantly, attacking her lips once more.