thirteen - crashing down

song - Grace by Lewis Capaldi

~"I can't seem to drown you out long enough
I fell victim to the sound of your love
You're like a song that I ain't ready to stop
I got nothing but you on my mind
"~

Finn took advantage of staring at Millie before she woke up, kneeling beside her bed with a soft expression on his face as he studied her. His eyes were focused, running greedily over her soft golden skin and every puff of air that left her puffy pink lips. He was trying to will himself to get up and do something else, to kick her out of his room and go find a wall to punch. But his body wouldn't work with his brain, knowing that in his heart he wanted nothing more than to stay. He put it down to laziness, sighing in frustration as he stared at her. 

"I really wished you would stop messing with my head" he grumbled to her sleeping body.  

Millie rolled over sleepily, her back facing him instead and he stretched lazily, deciding to go and do something other than stare at her sleeping body. He trudged down to the kitchen, keeping his eyes peeled in case Robert would come out of any corner. Finn knew that he needed to stay out of his way if he had any chance of staying there. 

He was sitting down at the counter when Kelly walked in with a smile. "Finn, sweetheart. There you are! I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, you must have been busy."

He shrugged. "Not really."

Kelly squeezed his shoulder softly. "Well it is nice for Millie to have a friend like you. She hasn't had much of that in her life, people treating her right."

"She hasn't?" Finn asked quietly, looking up at her curiously. The lady smiled at him as if she could sense his worry and he cleared his throat. "Uh, I mean-"

"Cereal?" she chuckled, holding up bowls. 

Finn coughed awkwardly, sending her a tight smile. "Yes, please."

"Have you been sleeping okay?" Kelly asked quietly while pouring cereal into the bowls. "I hope that the spare bedroom is comfortable enough for you. Let me know if there is anything else you need, and feel free to help yourself to anything that you need. We have staff that can help but you are welcome to get yourself whatever you need if they aren't around."

"Thank you" Finn nodded. "I really appreciate it."

"You have gotten quite close with Millie, haven't you?" she asked suddenly and Finn's spoon froze as he went to take a bite of his cereal. "It seems like you two have been spending a lot of time together recently. It's nice to have someone your own age here, right?"

He stumbled over his words. "Yeah - uh, she's cool. She's um, fine."

Kelly smiled knowingly and opened her mouth as if she was going to say something else, but another figure stepped into the kitchen. Finn straightened up slightly and tried to hide the small smirk on his face as the man looked between them both. 

Robert scanned the pair, a deep frown on his face but after Kelly's face, he clenched his fists and plastered on a tight smile. He stepped closer slowly, still in his posh suit with his forehead starting to sweat slightly at the sight of Finn so comfortable in their family. Finn tried not to laugh at how angry he looked and how he was trying to hide it, knowing that the man wanted nothing more than to kick him out of the house. 

"What's going on here?" his teeth were slightly gritted. 

Finn took another bite of cereal to hide his smirk. 

Kelly placed a hand on her husband's arm and nodded encouragingly at Finn who sat eating his breakfast peacefully. "Robert, dear...Finn here is having some breakfast with me. I am going to call Millie down in a moment, would you care to join us?"