twenty one - after the storm

song - Lovely by Billie Eilish 

~"Oh, I hope some day I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear"~

The sun streamed down on their intertwined bodies, the shimmering light skirting over the surface of their skin, some pale and covered in freckles and others bathed in golden sunlight, soft and smooth. There were no interruptions, no noise or disturbances as they held each other close, the sunlight streaming through the window of the hotel. Their soft breaths mixed with the gentle chirping of the birds and when Millie opened her eyes, she couldn't stop the soft smile growing over her face at the sight of Finn's eyelashes fluttering gently against her cheek. They were close enough that she could practically count his small freckles, running her fingers along the sharp slope of his cheekbones until his eyes fell open gently, unraveling a deep brown that was nothing like the ocean, but just as majestic. 

Finn thought that he was dreaming at first, Millie's caramel eyes so soft and comforting, looking at him as if he could do no wrong despite how much he had hurt her. She traced his cheeks with such care, a small blush tinting her cheeks when she noticed his eyes staring back at her shamelessly. He knew that he would never get tired of looking at her, of wondering what he did to deserve this angel practically glowing in the morning sunshine. 

"Hi" she whispered gently. 

Finn grinned back at her, closing his eyes at the feeling of her curious fingers exploring his face and neck. "Hi."

She stretched, one hand covering her face from the blinding sunlight as the sheet slid of her body gently. He couldn't stop staring in awe as she reached over to check the time, the sheets revealing more of her slender arms and sharp collarbones. She looked so carefree and so much like home, that he didn't want to ever forget the moment of her waking up next to him, feeling his skin and gracing him with her caring gaze. "What time is it?" she mumbled.

"Pretty late..." Finn shrugged, tugging her closer with playful eyes. "What can I say? I think you were a bit tired after last night."

Millie shoved his chest lightly. 

He allowed himself to be taken in by her beauty for a bit longer before he sighed, ruffling his messy curls and pulling some clothes on. Millie watched him for a moment, a confused look on her face until he tossed her a sweatshirt, raising her eyebrows at her to get dressed. "Get ready" he told her, "I want to take you somewhere today."

"Like a date?" she teased, pulling the sweatshirt over her hair. 

Finn scratched his head. "Uh, not exactly."

A short while later, they were stood in front of the glass with headphones over their heads and an instructor giving them a thumbs up. Finn caught her by her curvy hips when she tried to slide away, turning around to shake her head at him insistently. As soon as they had walked into the center and she saw the sign, she tried to rush back to the stolen car, ignoring Finn's pleas to keep an open mind. She practically gulped at the sight of all of the different guns on the rack, different shapes and sizes that made her head spin, different bullets required for each one. There were so many different rules and types that made her head spin as Finn laughed at her expression, promising to teach her everything that he knew. 

"Don't you just point and squeeze the trigger?" Millie asked desperately, fiddling with the small pistol in her hand, the puniest gun that Finn had ever seen. 

Finn chuckled. "What if it runs out of bullets?"

"I'll call you?" she shrugged innocently, "or run away..."