chapter 1

The call...

I rolled from one side of my small size bed to the other rubbing my tummy gently. I feel a subtle pain right in there. If I hadn't lost count of my menstrual cycle I would have concluded that it was the usual pain.

I looked around my room again as though I just moved in. I don't even feel like going out of this room today, but I have to. That's what you get, when your freedom is taken.

Ha! You look confused my friend, don't be. what I'm actually trying to say is that, I live under an authority of a certain family as a maid. Therefore, my freedom is limited. Don't get me wrong because they're good people, perhaps because they have their image to protect as they are a royal family. They try to be nice to everyone except for their strange son- prince Richard, who just returned from the states.

He is an average tall slim dark complexioned guy with white shinning gap teeth. He is of high intelligence. But a loner. Too calm for my liking. He seldom smile and always appears to be lost in thought. He hardly talk to anyone. He hates anything party or celebrations.

Lo, now you'll agree with me if I call him a sadist right?

That's what most of the maids believed yet everyone of them wanted to get closer to him. I wouldn't blame them, because the prince was indeed a handsome guy to behold.

In all of these, I feel as though I've met him before now because each time I look at him, his face always appears familiar yet I can't seem to fathom where I might have met him before.

All my life, I had been in my small town of Igala where I was born and bred. I never had course to travel except the day I came here to work as a maid. That's about five years ago. So, seeing a familiar face in an unfamiliar place remains a mystery to me.

Grrrrrrh! Grrrrrh!!

I jumped up from my bed searching for my phone that threatens to wake everyone with it's loud volume. I found it under the bed. It must have fallen off from the bed while I slept. I picked it up from the floor and frowned at the caller.

What does she want so early?

Well, there's only one way to find out-pick the call.

I pressed the green button not knowing what to expect.

"I thought you weren't going to pick after all" auntie Betty fired sarcastically as soon as I picked.

" and good morning to you too auntie" I greeted nonchalantly.

"Junior is sick!" she spat as though Junior's name was bitter in her mouth.

"Are you deaf? Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"I..... Erm"

"I knew this was what I was going to get. You're always confused. Look, I don't have time to waste on you. The morning is still fresh. Send some money for his treatment as soon as possible."

"But.... "

"Hello?"

She was gone. Where on earth was I going to get money to send to her again? Just last week, I sent auntie Betty the last money I had in my account for mama's treatment and now, Junior! And only God knows what would happen to Junior if I don't send this money as soon as possible.

I got up from my bed and went into the rest room to freshen up. It is my day off. I needed to look for help. And there is no time to waste.