chapter 9

He gave me time to calm down before talking.

'Ammh! He cleared his throat. Look if it's about this morning never mind. But how did you know my hospital? He asked politely.

'Your Majesty, you own this hospital?'

'Yes. Why?

'I thought you....

He was interrupted by the knock on the door.

'Yes come in. Turning to me he said 'please can we talk later because I have a patient's mother to attend to regarding her son.

I opened my mouth to say something when the nurse walked in and smiled at me.

'Oh madam, I see you're already here. Then turning to the doctor she added 'doc. This is the lady you requested to see. She's the mother of the child in ward B56.

I stole a look at his face and he was in alter confusion. His mouth was a gap and he just kept staring at me which made it difficult for me to look up. I just stared at some blank space in the office.

'Doc? Is there a problem? The confuses nurse asked seeing the surprise and tension in the air.

'No. Not at all. You can leave now. But please tell doctor Mark to commerce treatment on that little boy immediately. I shall make some calls for some other experts to join him.

Okay doc. The nurse exited the office and silence fell upon the office. After some time he started making calls. It was like a film trick for me. Or like a dream so I decided to  pinch myself to see if I would feel the pain. In did I felt the pain and I knew I was not dreaming. It was a reality. How could this be? It was all happening so fast. My little boy was going to be well again.

'Why didn't you tell me you were asking for money for your son's treatment? You never mentioned that you had a son. We have been living together for months now.

I was silent. I didn't know what to say. I was overwhelmed at the moment. All that I wanted to say did come out but not in words as I would have loved but in tears to my dismay. I just didn't know where to begin from. My life is already a nightmare which I hope to awake from some day and Junior was a constant reminder of that nightmare. He was....a mistake I never wanted to remember. He was a past in my present. A past that kept hunting me down. But yet the moment I decided to let him live by not getting rid of it. I taught myself to love him no matter what. I decided to work all my life to carter for him. I would not hate you my child. ' I'll love you till I die.' These were my words to junior when I first held him at the hospital. And I meant every bit of it.

I would not rub him of his right to a mother's love because of the bitterness I feel inside.

I was brought back to the office from my deep thoughts by the gentle hand which wiped my tears once more. Looking up at him I said 'you do not know anything about me and that includes my son.'

I looked him in the eye for a while. He  guess he could see the pain in my eyes.

'Please, give me another chance to know you. And if possible your son.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to talk about my  past yet. But looking at him and seeing those pleading eyes, I guess it was  time to pay my past a visit after so many years.