chapter 18

''Ray Darling, check who's at the door. I said to Raymond who was in the living room with me watching TV. He was on his holiday while I took my live in order to have enough time for him.

''OK mum'' he said as he jumped off the cushion and placed the TV remote control on the centre table.

''Grandma!'' I heard Ray shouted from the top of his voice. I immediately walked up to the door.

''You're Majesty''. I managed to say then adding immediately ''Ray, go to your room.'' Ray turned a pleading eye at me begging to be asked to stay but seeing the expression on my face, ran up the stairs without looking back.

''Aren't you going to invite me in, Amanda?''

''Pardon my manners your majesty. Please do come in and make yourself comfortable.''

''Thank you Amanda.''

''What shall I offer you,your majesty?''

''Your audience will do, Amanda.''

''Excuse me?

''You heard me my dear. Please, I need your audience. I have been searching for you for years''

''Why your majesty?''

''Let's say you needed some explanations which everyone denied you then?''

''And?

''Perhaps, help to treat my son, Richard. I heard you had a successful surgery of a similar disorder as his recently. Please Amanda help me.''

''I'm sorry your majesty, but can't''

''You can't or you'll not?

''I can't''

''And why not?''

''Your majesty, Richard's case is much more complicated. There are too many women in the scene. If I'm to help your son, it means I have to stay close to him for a close watch. The women in his life plays different roles in his memory and my identity is mistaken in both. I can't be Ana today and Ada tomorrow. Your majesty, who are these women?''

''Come, sit my child. I shall answer all your questions.''

***** *** ****
In the kingdom of Uraru. A maiden is usually chosen from appointed families who is groomed from birth on matters of royalty. How a royalty should walk, sit, talk and behave generally. This maiden is specially groomed for the crown prince of Uraru kingdom. The prince has no choice than to marry this maiden. Such was Richard's fate with Ada.

Ada was the chosen maid for my son Richard and the mother of my late grandson Raymond.

At first, Richard wouldn't hear of it. He hated Ada so much. That maiden suffered till death. She was smart, beautiful and kind hearted. She had the most beautiful smile I have ever seem in my entire life. She was a blessing to the royal household. But my son Richard treated her badly. He saw her as gold digger and as an enemy who had come to separate him from his so called love, Ana.

One day, Richard came home drunk. He had, had  an argument with his father and I earlier as to his attitude towards Ada. He left angrily and returned drunk in the night. That night, he went intimate with his wife  Ada and that was how my grandson Raymond came to be.

With Ada's pregnancy, Richard's attitude towards her changed. He became loving and caring. Soon after they fell in love. Richard couldn't wait for his son to arrive this earth. He protected Ada as though she was a little child. Everyone was happy at the turn of event.

Raymond was born in love and Joy. It was as though Everything fell into place and the puzzle was was completely solved. But our joy was short - lived.

The Queen mother got up from her sit and walked towards the window in silence.

''Your majesty. You don't have to tell me everything. I understand this is not a pleasant story to tell at all''

The Queen mother looked stared at a blank space for a while and smile sadly. Then she continued her story ignoring Amanda's earlier comment.

Three years later, Ada became sick. She was diagnosed of cancer which we didn't know on time. It had already spread round her body. The once Ada who was ever full of life was dying by the day.  Six months into her illness Richard and I paid her a visit.

''Rich, love.'' Ada said in a whisper.

''Yes, priceless.'' Richard replied holding her skeletal hand in his.

''Look...look..for a...mother for..Ray.'' Ada managed to say. You know.... his condition, right? .....He needs a mother figure. I can't....

''Stop! priceless, stop! You're going to be fine.'' Richard said with tears rolling down his cheeks.

Ada smiled weakly. ''How....I wish I could say Amen to that Rich.... But I chose to embrace this reality....and I want you to embrace it too Rich.....the reality that.....I'm dying.

''Please stop....stop priceless you're not leaving...''

''Of course not! Not even death can separate us my Rich love''. But find Ray a mother....please...

With that her hands dropped and the candle that has been in the rain finally went off.

.
Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to vote, comment, share 😍😍😍😍😘