chapter 3

A queen's request

I walked through the walkway to the queen's chambers with so many questions pooping in and out of my mind. Why did the queen send for me so early?  I'm very sure she knows today is my day off,  so why would she want to interrupt it?  This is very unlike her.  Or could it be that she wanted me to do something for her? But we are more than twenty maids in this house,  she could have used any of them.

But you haven't even seen her yet. So why the conclusion?

"come in" the commanding voice of queen Mabel called from the other side.

I stepped in with total discomfort.

"Good morning your highness " I said while genuflecting slightly.

"Good morning my dear" she responded in her usual cheerfulness.

"come, sit". She said tapping the seat next to hers.

"Relax, Amanda,  I'm not going to eat you raw. I'm very sorry I had to interrupt your free day.  It's because I have a request to ask of you. "

"Please go ahead ma. I'm all ears."

" Thanks my dear." she took a deep breath before speaking again.

"You know my son has been back from the states for over a month now and his attitude towards the female folk is quiet worrisome. His bethrod Nacy, would be in the country a year from now and  Richard has to accept her. Without marriage, he can't ascend the throne as the crown prince."

I shifted on my seat uncomfortably, wondering how all these has to do with me.

"so I  want you to work for my son......as his personal maid."

"but ma....."

"I'll  double your salary."

"but ma.... I don't think I can do it."

"why not?"

"it's your son....."

"I know my son is a difficult person, but trust me, you can do it. I have a lot of faith in you. My instincts have never failed me before, and it can't start now. I believe in you Amanda. Please do this for me and I will be eternally grateful to you." She said taking my hand in hers as she pleaded .

"Please Amanda, I don't want to lose the throne, please help me."

"what and what am I expected to do,  ma?"

"To stay at his chambers and work for him as his personal maid. I want a woman figure around him so that he would get comfortable around women before his bethrod returns. I looked around and I couldn't find any better maid than yourself Amanda, I know my son is tough but you can do it."

"Okay ma, I will give it a try...."

"Oh my gosh! Thank you Amanda, thank you." I could see a tear rolling down her right cheek.

"Oh no ma! please don't cry" I said trying to console her highness.

"you won't understand what you are about to do for me by accepting to work for my son. It's hell seeing him like this. Richard was never like this.  He used to be a calm, loving and respectful boy. But then he.... "she broke into an uncontrollable sob. She turned to me and held my hand tightly.

"Help my son Amanda, I have faith in you!"