chapter 8

I moved over to the bed side. I just couldn't stop crying. I was now alone with my son.

'I'm sorry son that I haven't been a good mother to you. I thought I could work for us but I never knew you needed me more than the money I earn. I was busy working my life out while auntie kept freshening herself and her family with the money. Look at you my jewel. Looking so pale and half alive. Please don't leave me my love. Stay with me. You're all I have left. Mother left me not quiet long you can't Leave me too. If you do there will be no reason for me to keep living.

Look darling, just wake up and tell me anything you want me to do and I'll do it. But you have to live for me and....

The door opened and the nurse entered interrupting my hearty plea to my son to stay strong for me. She gave me the bill the hospital has spent so far which I had to clear before further treatment could commerce. I opened it and I felt my heart stopped beating for a while.

'Thank you' I managed to say.

'You're welcome ma. Meanwhile the doctor would love to see you concerning your son's health.

Okay, thanks again.

She smiled as she replied. 'You're welcome again ma.

Then seeing how tensed i looked she added. 'The doctor is a very understanding person. He's also very kind hearted.

'Yeah I could guess from the way my son is being attended to so far. It's rear in our country to see a hospital that is not so money conscious. I mean you all could have demanded for a deposit before beginning your treatment but you started without any deposit been paid. I think I need to thank the doctor for his kind gesture as well.

'Yes. That's a very good idea. You could also plead for assistance you know. This hospital assists people who cannot meet up with bills. It's a kind of charity from the owner of the hospital who built it as a memorial of the demise of his child. Just let the doctor know your predicament and he will help you. You know, many people abused this charity work that was why the billing started still, help is still given to those who truly needs it like you do. Good luck ma. With this she left the ward.

I cleaned my face as I walked to the doctor's office. I knocked at the door and i opened the door at the order of the doctor's voice from the inside. I entered and closed the door behind me. Turning to face the doctor, I stopped dead at the sight of him. It was him, my boss, prince Richard. How could this be? He was a doctor? A pediatrician at that? This was unbelievable.

He was nothing of what the nurse described as a kind hearted man. I live with this cold blooded man! He doesn't even know I have a son! Oh God! Could this day be any better!

What was going to become of my son now since this same man has refused me money before. To crown it all I know he hates me for whatever reason...not just me but females in general except his mother. Where and how was I going to raise the money to clear this bill. He already made it clear to me that he would not give me any money.

I hadn't realised I was crying until I felt a hand pulling me gently to a nearby seat. And another hand reaching out to my face with a handkerchief and wiping my tears.

I knew right there and then that this Prince Richard who is a pediatrician is a different man compared to the cold blooded man in Prince Richard who is my boss at the palace.