chapter 15

Junior was diagnosed of heart problem. He had a hole in his heart but aunty Betty never told me. Instead she used it as a means to extort money from me. Instead of taking junior to a hospital for proper treatment, she resorted to herbs usage until Junior's health became critical and beyond pity that was when she took him to the hospital.

This was how Richard came into the picture as Junior's saviour. Richard got Junior a heart donor and took care of his heart transplant. Everything seemed like a dream but it wasn't it was a miracle.

Richard became a father to Junior until we fled. I do not know if it was a good idea to have left like that but I felt it was the right thing. Richard grew paranoid. After Junior returned from hospital, Richard's attitude changed. He started behaving strangely. He would call me Ada sometimes at other times Ana.

I observed that the days he called me Ada, he was usually so emotional and calm. Most loving and almost the perfect man any woman could wish to have as a husband. He treated me with so much love, respect and dignity. And those days were the happiest days of my life. Whenever we took  junior to park, people often admire us as a perfect family. Richard was perfect on Ada days.

But the days he called me Ana were the hell days. He was a cold sadist on these days. He would treat me with so much disgust and dislike. Ana days were hell for me and I often wished they never came. But still, I didn't mind because Junior seem to be the beneficiary of both Ana and Ada days. I was ready to bear for junior's sake. Richard equally changed Junior's name to Raymond and my attempt to correct him always led to furious reaction from him and everyone seemed okay with the turn of event except me. The whole thing was confusing.

I tried to unravel this mystery by asking those around but no one was ready to open up to me. It was killing me yet I bore it all until that fateful day that I entered the forbidden room and discovered that my junior was been mistaken by Richard for his dead son Raymond.

I was so terrified that the only thing I could think of was for us to run away. Far away from Richard's reach. And that was what I did. I carried Junior and left the house with nothing. I didn't want anyone to suspect that we were leaving. I told the chef I was going to get Junior's medication across the road. That was how we left. And I lost something so dear to my that day-my diary which was my closest companion. My diary contained my life's history. Right from my twelfth birthday. But now it was gone and I felt as though I just lost my childhood and teenage memories.

**** **** ****

I studied so hard and achieved my goal of becoming a psychiatrist. I got a job and soon the sun of God's blessing began to shine on us. But I knew junior deserved a lot more better than I was offering him. Often times he  was found alone crying. I stopped snapping at him at my slightest provocation as I used to. I tried to show him a little love and acceptance even though it was tough for me. I still battled with my hatred for the opposite sex.

If I could kill all men, I would have done it slowly.

But it was strange how one man ruined my life and another restored it. Yes, Richard did restore my life.

I knew junior and I needed help. A psychological help. I wanted to be a mother to my son. I wanted to be able to love him as my son. I wanted my heart to forgive and forget. I needed to grow. I also needed to set myself free from this prison of anger I have locked myself for years. So I got us psychologists and soon we started the therapy.

Junior was to learn to call me mother while I was to learn to call him pet names and the name that makes him happy the most. We were to spend quality time together and tell each other about our day's event and so on. That was when I asked Junior the name that please him the most and shockingly he asked that I call him Raymond.  That was how his name and documents so far were changed to Raymond. So my son Junior was now known by all his friends as Raymond. He would always sulk each time  I mistakingly call him Junior just as he was right now.

I glanced at my son who sat quietly on his seat and decided to start conversation.

''Honey, why don't you tell mummy what happened at school today.'' I said with a plastered  smile on my face.

''Everything went normal mum'' Raymond replied without looking up. Then all of a sudden his face brightened up and he smiled at me and said ''I saw grandma today!''

''What on earth are you talking about?  The only grandma I know you ever had my mother, died before you could even recognise her. So what are you talking about, son? Have you started seeing ghosts?

''I don't mean the dead grandma mum. I mean the living one.''

Thank for ever supporting by reading voting, commenting and sharing. You surely are a Darling😍😍😍😍😘