Chapter 2 The Fox

Johnathan's p.o.v.

I woke up from my slumber but didn't open my eyes. Why, you might ask? Because I woke up to the sound of sniffing around the tree I was in. I kept my eyes closed as the sniffing got louder and closer to me. Soon the creature was inside the tree and I could feel their presence very close to me. Then I felt their nose nudge my body. That's when I freaked out and scurried to the back of the tree, my eyes wide open because of what was in front of me. A fox.

"Hold on! Wait! I'm not gonna hurt you!" The fox said to me. It's not weird for animals to be talking to each other, it's only weird to the eyes of humans in my experience.

"Bullshit!" I yelled back, my fur standing up as I tried to stop myself from shaking so much.

"No! I mean it! I won't hurt you." The fox said, keeping his distance away from me. I stay up against the tree, not wanting to take any chances.

"W-Why are you here?" I asked him.

"I heard whimpering so when I came to check to see if anyone was hurt it stopped. So I sniffed around and found you here." He explains but I still don't trust him.

"It doesn't make sense, why aren't you eating me?" I asked him.

"I already ate earlier and I honestly wanted to make sure if you were alright. Are you ok?" He asked me.

"Y-Yeah, I am. Just been tired of running." I said.

"Running from what?" He asked. Should I tell him? What would he say if I did?

"I escaped out of a laboratory, filled with scientists, doing experiments on animals." I explained to him.

"For real?! Other animals like me were able to get away before we were caught. What did they do?" He asked and my body started to shake again, remembering everything that those scientists put me through.

"Shit. You don't have to answer if you don't want to!" He said quickly after my sudden reaction. He came up to me slowly and petted my fur with his paw to calm me down. It seemed to work and I later went back down on the ground.

"I'm Luke." He introduces himself.

"I'm Johnathan." I smile to him and he smiles back. I looked over his features and noticed he was a red fox with black at the tip of his ears, tail and on his paws. He didn't look like any ordinary fox to me.

"So, what are you doing in here?" Luke asks me, bringing me out of my thinking state.

"Just needed somewhere to stay for the night." I tell Luke and he nods his head. Luke then sat down next to me, I sit up from my current position.

"Are there other foxes?" I ask him and he frowns.

"No, those scientists took most of the creatures from these woods, including my family. I've been alone ever since for about a year now." Luke said sadly. Was I really gone for a whole year? I also felt bad that Luke lost everything he had to those cruel humans.

"Well, I'm here now so you won't be alone anymore." I said, making him show a small smile.

"Yeah, that's true." Luke said. We sit there in silence for a few minutes till Luke decided to speak up again.

"Hey, wanna go hunt for food with me?" He ask and I nod my head excitedly. I haven't ate anything since yesterday so I was practically starving!

"Cool. You can look for berries and I'll try to find animals." He says before running out the hollow tree. I see him running in a certain direction in the distance before disappearing behind some bushes. I went the opposite way and went to go fine berries, leaving marks on trees to help me find my way back. Maybe life won't be so bad after all. I said to myself smiling.