Chapter 3 The Owl

Johnathan's p.o.v.

I have been friends with Luke for a few weeks now. We started to live in the huge, hollow tree together since there was enough room for both of us. My relationship with Luke grew very quickly, he basically acts like a protective, older brother to me. We've shared our life experiences with each other, cried sometimes, hugged, smiled, laugh, it was great to actually have a friend to help me get through my trauma.

Life was simple with us. We would eat breakfast, hunt, get home, talk, eat dinner, sleep and repeat. The routine sorta felt like a chore sometimes but at least it helped us survive this long. Today felt like a regular old day.

Luke and I were walking back to our home. Luke was dragging a small potato sack that he had found a few days ago, inside was probably a few dead animals. I was carrying a few blue berries that I have found in my arms. We were having a normal conversation but just before we got to the tree something fell from the top of the tree. The item made me jump but luckily I didn't drop any berries. Luke lets go of the sack in his mouth and look over the item.

"A fish head?" He questions.

"Where did this come fro-"

"Ah!" I yell, cutting Luke off as something flew down and snatched up the fish head. This time I actually did drop the berries. Though, whatever took that fish head yelled mine. I wonder who said that?

"Up here!" Luke and I heard a voice and we looked up to one of the branches above us. An owl?! The owl swallowed the head whole then swooped down towards us.

"Hello!" He yells pass us as he flies by me and grabs a few berries from the ground.

"Hey!" I yell to him as he flies back up to the branch he was previously on.

"Hi!" The owl smiles as he throws a berry into his mouth. Luke chuckled a bit at the owls response.

"I'm gonna head up to talk to him." I tell Luke as I head inside our home and up the inside of the hallow tree. I crawl out the top hole and onto the branch under it, seeing the owl watch me climb all the way up.

"Wow, nice climbing!" The owl smiled. Why was he so cheery? I looked at the owl and looked over his features. He didn't look like any other owl I've seen, he had orange-ish ombre feathers and chocolate brown eyes. He also acted kinda different as well, childish almost.

"Uh, thanks?" I questioned.

"So what's your name?" He asked me.

"Johnathan." I told him.

"Cool! I'm Evan." He smiled. His action made something in my stomach punch itself. He made me feel a bit more nervous and I don't know why.

"So who's your friend?" He asks me, pointing down to the red fox on the ground who was staring back up at us.

"Oh! T-That's Luke, my brother."

"Brother?" He said, cocking his head to the side.

"I mean he acts like a brother to me." I tell him and he nods.

"So, where are you guys going with all that food?" Evan questioned.

"We were just taking them back to our home. Where did you get the fish?"

"There's a river a few minutes from here full of fishes." He says. I know the river he's talking about but Luke and I could never catch a fish so we really only go to the river to get wash up.

"But how? It's hard to catch those fishes."

"Well, being the best owl in the world, I can catch them easily." Evan bragged, making me roll my eyes.

"I can show you if you want?" Evan suggested. The ability to hunt fish would actually increase our food supply.

"Sure, that'd be great if you don't mind." Evan smiles at my response and I smile back. His smile is so contagious!

"Hey! What's going on up there?" Luke yells to us with a bit of worry in his voice.

"We're just about to come down!" I yell back to Luke before turning back to Evan who had a grin on his face.

"Are you afraid of heights?" He ask me.

"No? Why?" I ask a bit worried myself.

"No reason." He says before flying up a bit and grabbing onto my back with his claws. I could tell he didn't want to hurt me but he needed a good enough grip to hold onto me.

"Hold on!" He yells before swooping down to the ground with me. I held onto his feet tightly, a little bit afraid on how fast he flew down. Once we were close to the ground he dropped me and I landed near Luke.

"Are you ok?" Luke ask running up to me.

"Yeah I'm alright." I tell him and he smiles, knowing that I'm not hurt.

"Luke, this is Evan. Evan, this is Luke." They both turn to each other and shake each other's hand. "He's gonna teach us how to catch fish." I inform Luke.

"That's great!" Luke smiled.

"Let's get going!" Evan says before flying off towards the river.

"Hey! Wait up!" I yell to him.

"Last one there is a rotten egg!" Luke yells before running after Evan, leaving the potato sack by the tree. I started to chase after them as well.

"No fair!" I yelled making them both laugh, I chuckled a bit as well. This should be interesting.