Chapter 16: The Ranking Part 5

The Intelligence test. Now I'm pretty smart, but I hate taking tests. The night before the entrance ceremony, I was reading all my magic and weapons books, trying to cram more knowledge in me. I wouldn't cheat, for they would know.

"Are you ready to begin?" The Ranker asked.

"Dammit. I suppose so." I replied.

She nodded and walked over to a desk facing the hunters. I waved at Sabrina, and she waved back. I had to look calm and collected in the face of my opponents. The weaklings are the easiest to pick around. That was not me. I opened the test booklet and began. I blinked twice and shut the book.

These questions were easy. Way easier than I had ever expected! I quickly dashed through the pages. How could this be possible? I really could reach Adamantite class now!!

And I spoke too soon, one of the pages had me write a whole essay about ancient hunter weapons...which I had barely any knowledge of! All I could remember is that they came straight from the earth and weren't meddled with. I should have studied more! I focused and stared at the blank paper. Fuck it. I'll just write down what I remember about them. I finish and turn the page to see another essay.

One about...true familiars. I smile and almost burst out laughing. They have got to be joking! This will be the easiest essay I've probably ever written. They had the questionnaire prepared before my ranking began so this is merely a coincidence. I looked over my essay and decided to end it off with "The connection and power that true familiars must have is nothing compared to those of familiars. They connect more easily, being able to hold high ranks in our world and being able to protect the masses with ease. The art of a true familiar is nothing to be compared.". That should do it. I think. I stand up and hand it over to the Ranker. I hope I get a perfect score, it's the only way to get to Adamantite class after all. I walk out feeling refreshed and not at all tired.

I stop and cover my right eye. Hopefully no one has seen it.  I go to the Headmistress and tell her, "I need a new eyepatch. Since you broke mine."

She gives me a sheepish grin and pulls one out for me. It's just a white medical one but it should do until I have to ask Lilith for a new one. I go back to Sabrina and she hugs me. I hug her back after a couple seconds.

She finally let's go and says "I can't believe you fought the headmistress! She's so powerful."

"Me neither. I never expected that."

She looks at me for a minute and frowns. She then punches my shoulder. "How could you stab her in the eye??! Twice!"

"Ow. And I did it because every time I lost when she trained me she would mutilate me. This was one of the only times I ever won and so I hurt her back. Where it would hurt the most."

"Still! With your sword?!"

"I would have done it with my thumb but that wouldn't have hurt as bad. Plus, Lucifer was crafted with mesarith and demon metal."

She gasped and stared as I let her hold Lucifer. "It's so pretty. Where did you get it from?"

"Oh, Lilith gave it to me. I doubt she needs a sword like this. Speaking of which I should probably tell her I'm done."

I did my telepathy spell and was immediately connected to Lilith! I couldn't get over how cool this was!

Lilith?

Yes Celia?

I'm done with my ranking test. How about you?

I just finished, I was waiting for you to contact me.