Chapter 33: Glass

The abyss? In Dante's inferno I know it was the ninth circle was for treachery, but it couldn't be that circle...could it? We didn't have much information on the circles or of how Hell even ran. Even the demons that went to the Academy were either sworn to secrecy or didn't know much either.

"The abyss? What circle is that?" I asked.

She grimaced "If you're thinking of the Circle of Treachery, you're wrong. It's much worse."

Her eyes seemed to be looking far away, perhaps reliving what it was like there. When she looked back, her eyes seemed tormented and fearful.

"Why is he asking you to do this?"

"Ruling Hell is a big task. The ninth circle seems to be a whole other Hell. It's too much work to keep all the circles in control. That's why he made me."

"Do you have to go?" I asked.

"No. I will eventually need to take up the task, but for now I can stay here."

"You'll have to leave me eventually." I let a bit of sadness slip out.

"I must eventually, my fathers hold on the realm will keep diminishing if he has no aid in ruling it. The least I can do is rule over the ninth circle for a couple years until he is strong enough to come back."

"What made Lucifer so weak? He was extremely powerful a couple decades ago."

Lilith's frown deepened. "It's because of me. He made me, and it took a lot of power."

"He made you? Like with another demon..." I trailed off, realizing that she literally meant made. She was made, but not naturally like me. It's possible that Lucifer had created her, much like how Zeus had made Athena.

"So...you don't have a mother?" I asked.

"That's correct." She said then fell silent.

"So, he only made you to ease his workload?"

"At first, but when I was made he decided to try being a father, and he found contentment in that. Lucifer was lonely spending all this time alone, ruling Hell. I'm not like most demons," She flexed her hands "I came completely from a fallen angel. The first fallen angel. I'm an outcast on both ends, I'm neither angel nor demon."

Just like me, I was both angel and demon. I didn't even know if I died if I would be allowed in Hell. Even in the hunters index, I was unheard of. Angel and human mixes were extremely extremely rare, and demon and human mixes were uncommon. An angel and demon reproducing? That was impossible, until I came along that is.

I didn't know who my father and mother was. Whether my father was a fallen angel or demon. I only had speculations, and they were a heavy weight on my heart. I only wished I could have met them.

I could only imagine how much this tormented her.

"We were made for each other Lilith." I grab her hand.

"Don't you see? Abominations." I laugh. Her eyes widened in alarm and she gripped my hand back.

"We're both abominations, paired up with each other." I look at the ceiling, tears begging to be spilled.

"God truly does have a great sense of humor." I quickly blink my tears away, no tears will be shed for my unfortunate life.

As much as I yearned for Lilith's comfort, I would not waste our precious time. I stood up and pulled Lilith up with me.

I kissed her forehead "Thank you for telling me."

I felt happiness and relief flow through her as she relaxed and her face returned to normal. I didn't know this affected her, looking at her face shows no indication of distress aside from the frown on her face. But that would have conveyed only minor annoyance at my pestering. I'm grateful that I can feel her emotions, it truly would help us get closer than before, to be more in tune with one another.