Chapter 28: Shutter

Interesting. Wings? I'm not a divine being. I'm not even close to earning or having wings. But this does raise the theory as to my heritage. Is that why the Chamber kept me secluded all these years?  Why they did all those things to me?

"Celia!" Lilith shook me.

"Huh? Oh! Sorry, what was that?" I said.

"They've asked to see us. Privately."

This was it. Either we were too weak to be hunters or we were strong enough to get Adamantite class. Obviously the latter, but you never know. It could just be because of our...situation. With us being true familiars and all.

I shivered. Just be calm. I followed Lilith to the nearest exit , where I saw an official waiting for us. It was a man, he was in a suit, brown hair, with glasses that covered his eyes.

He bowed "My name is Daniel, please follow me."

We nodded and he began to walk out of the gym, into the hallway. I looked around, I had never seen this hallway before, but then again I do always teleport. Lilith looked just as confused, which made me worried. Where was he taking us? He made a left, a right, and another left before reaching a pair of tall oak doors. Daniel knocked.

"Come in." I heard the headmistress say.

The tension left me as I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. It was just Evergood. I opened the door and walked in, Lilith right at my heels. Evergood was behind an oak desk, a comfy looking chair supporting her. I heard the doors close and she took off her eyepatch revealing her mark.

"Please take a seat." She nodded at both the seats in front of her.

We sat down and she began to explain our unique situation.

"Because of your remarkable scores in this years Ranking, the teachers and faculty decided it would be best if you were...dismissed from the academy."

I couldn't move. Just what was she saying?

"Dismissed?" I squeaked.

"Yes. There is nothing more for us to teach you. You cannot advance anymore."

This was not what I was expecting. At all.

"Dismissed in what way? As in, expulsion?" Lilith asked.

Evergood smiled "No, not quite."

"Could you please elaborate, Evergood? I'm not in the mood for games" I said. I know I shouldn't have said that but I hate it when she toys with me.

"Touchy are we? Fine, what I mean is, we believe it is better for you to learn hands on."

Hands on? I saw Liliths hand twitch. I like where this is going.

"So," she continued on "for your first mission, we decided it would be best for your first mission to hunt some Wendigos."

Oh hell no.

"Wendigos?" I hope I didn't hear that correctly.

"Yes. Wendigos. In Minnesota to be exact."

"You are aware we could die, right Evergood?" I said.

"Oh, quite. This will be a fine mission to test your powers." She said.