Chapter 36: Touch

Celia into the house and rushed to our room, throwing off her scarf and slipping out of my boots on the way. She waved at me before shutting the door.

She had a lot of work to do.

I heard singing from the room. Celia was testing out the songspell to see if it flowed like it was supposed to. And it was, so far. Her voice was rich and melodious. I relaxed and listened.

Heed our call dry bones come alive, serve us right
We call out to dead hearts come alive, pulsing bright
Up out of the ashes an army shall rise

Heed your masters call dry bones, come alive
Gods of death and darkness of unrelenting fear
bring back the souls of darkness, hearts as black as night

By your masters spirit breathe upon them
Have your anger on standby, the way you can say goodbye
Is to serve your master, we hear the dead cry

I was afraid of the songspell, in all honesty. It would render her magic useless after Celia sung it. She would be in great danger. But I knew she had to sing it. I would protect her with all my soul to ensure she would be safe and sound. Even if I was not.

I sighed as she finished her songspell and knocked on the door. I heard a snap. Did something break?

"Come in." She said.

I came in with a tray full of food. Even from here, I heard her stomach growl.

"You haven't eaten in 3 days. You must be starving." I said as I placed the tray down at the edge of the desk.

"My body held out that long without eating anything?"

I notice the broken pencil dangling from her hands "You need to eat before you lose control."

"You know that won't happen, Lilith. I won't let that happen." She smiled before turning my eyes to the tray.

She's been acting odd lately. Very odd.

"What did my lovely wife make for me?" She teased.

I blushed and looked away, mumbling "Some chicken noodle soup, with chicken and rice."

"And for you?" This wasn't enough for both of us, and although I was hungry, she needed it more than I did.

"I'm not hungry, I'll eat later." I lied.

"I'm not that hungry either," though her stomach growled in protest. "we could share."

I shook my head "Not a chance. You need it more."

I smirked "Then there's no chance I'll eat." She grabbed another pencil and began to write. Oh how stubborn!

"We don't even know if it wore off yet." I protest.

Celia looked to where her hand gripped mine. She smiled triumphantly crooked her head towards it. My gaze followed hers. I didn't even realize I was touching her. I snatched my hand away.

I couldn't help myself. I missed her.

"You couldn't even keep your hands off me. But I think we'll be fine." Her hand bore no mark so I assumed it was fine.

She laughed at my embarrassed expression before I finally conceded "Fine."

I brought my own utensils and began to eat, though very little. Our eyes met and she picked up her utensil. I eyed her as she tried the food.

"It's delicious. You've definitely improved since we've become familiars." I nodded, trying to hide my happiness and satisfaction. I was glad she liked it.