Chapter 37: Expect the Unexpected

Falling in love with Celia was definitely not expected. At all. I didn't even think I could understand love, much less fall into it. Even now I still don't understand it.

But do I really have to understand it?

Still, her touching me is too dangerous. I don't know what I'd do...

"Lilith?" Celia reached for me and I flinched back.

"It's hot." I held myself.

"Are you okay?" Celia looked a bit sad but was worried for me.

"I'm...fine...just give me a minute." I had to collect myself.

She nodded and hugged me. A guttural sound came out from my throat but I kept still. The first few minutes were tense, but I slowly relaxed into her as time passed. She ran soothing circles into my arms.

"I love you Lilith." Her voice came out in a whisper.

My breath hitched as I felt myself growing warmer. "Stop saying that."

"But it's true." She kissed my ear as I tried to squirm away.

"I don't care." I grumbled.

"Stop acting like a child and say you're mine already!" She laughed which embarrassed me further. But her laugh sent chills throughout my body and made my heart beat uncomfortably.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I broke away from her.

She grabbed my hand and held it to her chest. I blushed and pulled my hand away but she grabbed it and put it back.

"What are you doing?"

"Lilith. Could I...could we ever be anything more than familiars?"

I froze "This isn't the kind of relationship I want and you know that. I want you Lilith, I don't want anyone else having you."

I looked away. Who knew this would bring a consequence?

"It's against the law." Is all I said.

Her smile faltered, if only for a moment "We've already broken the law."

"We aren't above the law, or its punishments. No matter who we are, they won't be lenient."

Her hand tightened on mine so much it hurt.

"Turn around Lilith."

I was suddenly frightened that she would hurt herself so I stayed put.

"Just for a second." I nodded and turned around while I heard rustling behind me.

"Okay." My hands shook. I could feel her anxiety and it was making me afraid. I took a shaky breath and turned around.

"Oh." I saw Celia in nothing but a bra on and I felt myself flush and I turned around. Though I wanted to do anything but look away.

"I-I can't Celia. You know that." I took shallow breaths, trying to calm my racing heart.

"I know, that's not what I wanted to show you." I looked back, confused.

"But then-" I gasped and sadness over came me.

"What did they do to you?" I whisper, shocked.

What I saw saddened me to no end. Her shoulder blades were grotesquely scared and all around her back she had some scars. Maybe a knife, perhaps a scalpel as this was a clean cut. Very clean. I ran my hand through the indent that was on her shoulder blades. She arched her back away, but I couldn't stop myself.