Chapter 31: Bound

I clutched onto her, begging her to accept these feelings so I could be rid of them once and for all.

"I-I don't expect anything to come of this confession. At all." I said.

"What?" She snapped her head back, looking confused...and a little hurt as well?

"I know you don't feel any type of way towards me, I just wanted you to hear this." She looked absolutely dumbfounded, "so that maybe if I told you, these feelings would go away..." I immediately stopped once I saw her face.

She was angry.

I could feel the anger rolling off her in waves, almost making me want to cower in fear.

She grabbed my wrists "Why did you tell me then?" She growled.

"I-I don't know..." I said and she squeezed my wrist so tight I yelped.

"You do. So tell me. Was it to confuse me?" She shook me.

Tears filled my eyes but I willed myself to not let them spill. I couldn't believe she was accusing me of playing with her feelings. If anything, she's been playing with mine.

I jerked my hands away and put them by my sides. A flash of pain went through her face.

"I can't believe you would accuse me of playing with your feelings." I said.

"It feels like you have been this whole time." She said with as much venom as she could. It hurt me that I managed to anger her.

That's when the first of my tears spilled. I wiped them away, frustrated at myself, at my emotions. I knew this would happen, I knew she wouldn't accept these feelings I had.

It's funny and weird how you can feel the pain in your chest and stomach when something really hurts you.

I told you. The voice laughed.

NOW IS NOT THE TIME. I yelled inside my head.

I felt a hand touch my cheek and another wrapping around my waist to pull me closer. I looked up and saw Lilith staring at me, with compassionate and apologetic eyes.

"I'm sorry. I lost control." She said, "I've been stressed and confused about many things these past weeks. Please don't cry. It hurts me when you do that." She blushed and retracted her hand.

I grabbed it, putting it back on my cheek "I know, it's okay. You can hurt me and break my heart as many times as you'd like. It's yours." I said.

"It's yours Lilith." I whispered the last part.

She looked stunned but her eyes filled with sadness.

"I promise I won't break it again." She said before kissing me on the forehead.

And that just broke my heart even more, because she didn't love me like I loved her. She was doing this out of obligation to me. I expected too much and that was my fault and my fault alone. So I smiled at her and said "You don't have to do that. I know you don't feel the same way, so you don't have to lie to yourself to lie to me." I felt ill saying that but knew it had to be done.

My heart slammed itself against my ribcage, then proceeded to skip a beat. I feel as if sleep is the only escape. I not only felt emotionally strained, but also physically. My heart was aching and my throat hurt from the sobs lodged in it. I needed to get out, I needed to be anywhere but near her.

Lilith sighed in exasperation and pulled me to her chest. I tried to get away but she didn't let me. I was about to say something but Lilith shushed me and told me to "Listen."