Dishonest

It was the dead hour of a November afternoon. On the streets, there were barely any vehicles. The few cars and the few people appeared and disappeared slowly, dribbling slowly past the buildings of the city.

At five o'clock, a taxi stopped outside of a building and I got out of the car after paying my fare and made my way down the small street. I was going to see my father. After thirty years of hardwork, building a business out of nothing, he let his success and prosperity crumble to pieces in a chafer of rumors, quarrels, accusations and bankruptcy.

It has been a week since my father's business got bankrupt because he was accused of fraud. Indeed, it was true and I dreaded being involved in these matters. But I was overcome with sadness by my father's situation. His life's hardworking came to an end because of a simple mistake. I wanted to help him but, when I thought about it, I couldn't ignore the fact that he had been dishonest.

However, as his only child, I thought that I should see him at least once before he is taken in custody by the police. Taking a deep breath, I stepped into the building that once used to be a lively office. The place looked large and light. There were no furniture, no employees, no hum of voices, no sound at all, but the echo of my steps on the empty floors.

I heard footsteps cross the empty room and a figure emerged from the shadows. All the air was knocked out of my lungs  and I was unable to speak as I stared at my father. For a moment I thought I was looking at a ghost; there was no light in his face. He had changed over these few months. He was thin and gaunt. His wrinkles had got deeper and spread all over his face and neck. He looked devastated, his dark black hair gone and now replaced with grey hair and his eyes were bloodshot as if he hadn't slept for days.

I felt pity for him. His life would never be the same again. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him, knowing that it would be a long time before I see him again.

(383 words)