Rough Sea

The waves pushed the boat towards the jagged rocks. If we did not want to end up dead like many, we had to jump. Praying to get out alive, we leapt into the water.

With a loud splashing sound, my body entered the dark indigo water. I felt trapped.

My arms and legs desperately kicked out, attempting to reach the surface. The violent waves were projecting me further away from my brother. Being separated from each other, we both struggled to reach the shore.

I swam with quick strokes against the current, while the sea kept roaring like an angry monster.

It felt like hours had passed as I struggled to swim to the shore. My entire body was throbbing and I could no longer feel my arms. I felt like giving up.

I had lost track of my brother. My throat was burning from screaming out his name continuously and from the salty water that entered my mouth every second that passed.

Black dots began seeping in at the edge of my vision and I knew this was the end. My eyes started dropping and I let my body sink into the deep ends of the sea.

The next moment, I felt cold hands wrap around my body, lifting me up. I let myself sink into unconsciousness with one though in mind.

I was saved.

(226 words)