10-Days Later

CJ was at home in her bedroom. Peter was there too, but he was waiting patiently in the hall. He was sitting on the floor and leaning against her closed door. He understood how surprised she was by their new situation, so he gave her space and time to accept it. He stayed in that position every day and night. At Brenda's behest, he did occasionally leave to eat and sometimes sleep on the couch when he felt cramped or uncomfortable. Every morning, he'd get up early and chop some wood for the fireplace. Even though they didn't have one, it had quickly become apart of his routine. He had heard CJ cry practically every night since the trial. The whole House Arrest made it hard for her to live her life, not to mention the fact that she felt like a prisoner in her own home. Peter sighed when his HC began to chime and he answered it.

~~~~

     CJ was Com'ing with her partner, Tyrel. She told him about her therapist's death, and how she felt about being back home. He reassured her and told her that the contract renewal date was coming up. The young woman paced back and forth as she spoke.

"Really?" She felt sad. "I-I don't know if the Association will even want me back."

"Sydney, all you did was lose the gold."

"No, I also injured you in the process."

"I'm good, okay? Besides, the bronze ain't so bad. Cheer up, it's not like you killed me or anybody else."

She chuckled nervously and stopped moving. She looked down and noticed the blinking metal cuff around her ankle. A knock on the door alerted her. The elemental peeked his head through the door.

"Um, hello. Is this...not a good time?"

"Uh, Gus? I'll talk to you later."

She signed off.

"N-No. Come in, Pete."

He stepped closer. "Please don't be sad anymore. I know that you're probably still processing things, but I have good news."

CJ sat down, awaiting his response.

"The girls are having a night out with Bailey. I think that you should go too. I need you to have fun, CJ." 

Need. She couldn't help but smile, it felt nice to hear him say that to her. She sighed and looked at him. "N-No thanks. I'm probably the last person that anybody wants to see." 

"Because you killed that woman?"

The neonate was shocked."Jaimie told you?"

"Yes, he did. But, it doesn't matter," He sat down next to her. "You're not a monster, and I'll never see you that way." 

His eyes were gentle and she looked down, but then noticed that his hand was struggling to touch hers. She tried to grab his, but he cleared his throat and she instantly changed her mind. 

"You should go--it's what you need." He expressed

[What I need is you. Always.] She thought

He looked away and stood to his feet. "You're...not a prisoner here. Follow me, please." 

     An hour later, she was enjoying drinks with the girls. They were celebrating at the new club, Sodality Asylum. CJ was impressed with macabre and ambiance of the place. Something about it resonated in her. She was also impressed at how Tense could round up so many guests on such short notice. Her friends were there of course, but the band of Cabin Goers had clearly grown. Penelope, Trixie, Jasmine, Mavis, Jody, and McKenna were also invited. She immediately thought of Peter. After their almost intimate moment in her bedroom, he lead to the small Courier Tube in the kitchen. He explained to her that she was only permitted to leave if her guardian authorized her outings. Peter quickly signed a document allowing her departure and sent it up through the tube.

Now, you're free. She remembered him saying.

CJ smiled politely, hoping that no one could see her new blinking accessory under her colorful long v-neck half sleeve striped maxi dress. The others weren't exactly blending in either with their bright, sequined, patterned or colorful dresses. The neonate felt self-conscious, she was clearly not the only one not dressed for the location. She wasn't exactly in the party mood due to recent events. Upon further investigation, she could tell that Bailey wasn't either. They had just buried Abbie and Mason yesterday. So were they drinking because they wanted to? Or because they needed to?

"To Abbie and Mason," Jasmine expressed. "They left us all too soon."

Everyone lifted their glasses.

"To  Antoinette Francesca D'Winter." Elise interjected. "Wherever she is, I hope that she is safe and happy."

"And...to Romy Pardeux and Dr. Gloria Channing," Bailey added while looking at CJ. "We didn't know them, but they deserved better too."

   The ladies clinked their beverages and Bailey shot the neonate a reassuring smile. The music's tempo grew loud and upbeat. Tense screamed with delight and looped arms with the girls. They shouted with excitement and headed to the dance floor. Leaving CJ alone with the pathis. CJ was getting anxious. The silence felt like it lasted an eternity. She quickly grabbed her drink and slurped it through a straw. She sipped until there was nothing left, and she then sipped on the emptiness of the glass.

Bailey glared at her.

"Why are you doing that?"

"Uuuh. Not sure. I-I love your dress."

She sighed. "Thanks. You haven't changed at all, have you?" She chuckled. "You're still an awkward weirdo. And I'm--" She looked down. "Still a bad friend." 

 "What? No, you're not."

"I didn't come to your trial, because I secretly thought you killed Abbie."

CJ held out her hand. "I admit, you're a terrible person sometimes. But never a bad friend, I trust you completely, Bailes. You're like a sister to me."

Bailey took her hand. Same here. But, I didn't come because I was still grieving."

She nodded sympathetically. 

"C-Can I ask you something?" Bailey inquired, she nodded. "Who the hell did that to your hair?"

CJ simply chuckled. The two friends had been through a lot together, and they had survived and grown up into strong young women.

"So, how's married life?"

"How's bein' famous?"

"Terrific. Will does all the cooking."

"Well, I live in Orista and have a personal chef."

"Show-off." Bailey expressed

The neonate raised her glass. "To the new Mrs. King--I wish you guys every happiness."

"That glass is empty, you know."

"It's symbolic. Now, shut up and clink."

The pathis did as instructed and laughed.

CJ grabbed her hand. "We're dancing. Now." 

      A waitress walked up to their table. "Excuse me. Are you Sydney Campbell?"

"Yes?" She replied

"Good. The owner would like to see you. He's a fan of your work."

Bailey stood. "Ooh, somebody wants your autograph." She teased. "You should go."

"And leave you here alone? No way."

"I won't be alone." She moved her hips to beat. "I'm gonna dance, remember? So get lost...Sydney."  

It felt peculiar hearing that name from her. Sydney. The one thing about her new life that remained. CJ sighed in surrender and smiled.

"Alright, you win."

The pathis smirked at her pompously.