16

"It's not a party," Tense expressed. "Unless I bring the tunes!"

Everyone cheered as upbeat music began to play. Krystal was saying something to Tense and Devin, while Lyndie and Margo were chatting with Malcolm. The neonate wondered what they could be telling him, but she wasn't worried so she sat down next to Noelle and Callum.

"Hey, guys."

"Hey yourself." Callum replied and noticed the S3s coming toward them. "They're here for you." He told CJ. "We'll catch up later."

"Definitely, I got some questions for you two." Noelle stated and left to join Ben and her new bodyguard, Ryder.

The warrior approached. "We need to powwow." She expressed with her besties.

"Honestly, CJ," Margo began. "You could cut the awkwardness with a knife."

The young woman looked at her with puzzlement.

"Peter, duh!" Lyndie expressed. "You two were supposed to be better--what the hell happened at the cabin? What did you do?"

"Wha--? How is it my fault!?"

"Because you're not the one with amnesia." Krystal explained. "Dance with him. It'll make things better."

"No, I-I'm not ready." She noticed Lyndie and Margo walking toward Peter. "Don't! Now's not really a good time. I'm...giving him his space."

"Uh, hello? Spill it. What the hell happened between you two?"

She looked away. "Doesn't matter."

The gladiator reached into her purse. "You want some Liquid Courage?" She teased

"Uh, hard pass. I'm no good when I'm drunk, remember?"

Krystal chuckled and walked behind her. CJ was immediately caught off guard when she pushed her from behind. Simultaneously, Margo and Lyndie had done the same. They were behind Peter and had done the same. The couple had collided and the two were face to face as the music slowed.

She rolled her eyes. CJ was set up. Again. Those S3s were just as meddling as they were in high school. She couldn't help but chuckle, remembering those teenage moments.

Peter glared and lifted his eyebrows, it was still his expression of perplexity. "What was all that about?"

"W-We were setup."

"Again?" He asked

She nodded. "I, uh--I'm so sorry about last night."

"It wasn't your fault. It was unexpected, but I don't regret it."

She blushed and chuckled embarrassingly. "Would you dance with me?"

He responded by taking her hand and pulling her gently toward him. The young man touched her waist and the two swayed to the slow tempo.

"I really am sorry about last night."

"I said that wasn't your fault."

She told him that it was, and that she was leaving town. Peter was confused and slightly angry. He grabbed her arm and brought her inside the mansion.

"Hey--!"

Everyone noticed the outburst, but said nothing. Those who knew them well, knew that they were going to argue and work it out in the process. They all chuckled to themselves and continued with their dance.

~~~~

Peter exhaled. "You're running away."

She pulled away. "You don't know what your talkin' about."

"You're running away 'cause you're scared, CJ!"

She clenched her fists. "Yeah? You seem to know sooo much as my guardian. So, tell me--what am I scared of, huh?"

"You're scared of hurting people you care about."

"Wrong! I'm scared of killing people! I'm not...strong enough to handle this. So, I'm staying away from people altogether. I even ended my skating contract. I'm staying away, for good."

"But, I thought that you wanted to learn control."

"I-I did. But, what's the point? I'm turning into a monster, and I can't even stop it!"

"Stop saying that!"

"Why!? It's the truth. Me leaving would be better for everybody, Pete!"

"Not for me." He pulled her closer to him. "You can't leave, not like this."

"What's the point of any of this!?" She pulled away. "You don't remember anything. Whatever this relationship is--we're just kidding ourselves!"

He gritted his teeth. "So...there's nothing between us?"

"I don't think so--not anymore." She turned her back to him

"Cicely, please. I remember enough...to know that I love you."

[W-What?] She pondered and turned to look at him. The young woman looked at his eyes, there were tears in them. She touched his face.

"I love you. I might not ever be the man that you remember. But, I hope that who I am now is enough...to make you happy." He explained

"Tell me what you do remember."

"I know that, that you bite your lip to avoid crying. I remember that you have an amazing laugh, and incredible blue eyes. I know that, I love you. I can feel it in my heart."

She bit her lip and he touched her face.

"You have so much pain. But you hide it behind...such a beautiful mask."

CJ chuckled as tears streamed down her cheeks. The two leaned closer to each other and touched foreheads.

"I-I can't lose you."

She inhaled at his words. Amnesia or not, she still loved him with all of her heart. She'd probably never stop.

"I-I hate this."

"I know, I do too. As your guardian, I'm obligated to give you whatever you need. But, I want to know what you want. What can I do for you?"

She could feel his lips touching her forehead, she gasped when he grabbed her waist. The young man wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him.

"I--I wanna be the girl who gets the guy and lives happily ever after. I wanna have average problems. I...I just wanna be normal. You've always saved me, Peter. But, I can't even...give you your old life back."

He kissed her passionately. She grabbed the nape of his neck and deepened their lip lock. She knew that it was dangerous to do such a thing with him, but she didn't care anymore. She loved her husband, and she was prepared to show him just how much.

"Take me somewhere." She breathed as she noticed the dark veins on his wrist.