14

Peter lit the candles of a small cake and began to plate the dinner for tonight. He moved faster when he heard the sound of a slamming car door. He removed his oven mitts and apron, he attempted to stand casually and tried some friendly conversation. [Compliment her, push in her chair, and then say hello?] He thought to himself

[Either way's fine, Pete.] CJ thought back with a smile, she was standing in the doorway

He panicked. "Um, hello!"

"Hi." She looked around. There was no one else around, she dropped her small bag on the couch. "Just us, huh?"

"Yes...me and you." He inhaled. "Welcome. Please, sit."

CJ did as instructed and he pushed her chair in. He sat across from her watched carefully, she was just as nervous as he was.

"Uh, so...how have you been?" She inquired

"You look...lovely." He replied

She blushed. "T-Thank you. So, where is everybody?"

"Gone, I suppose. Tense said to be here for a Ceter Party--whatever that means."

"Hm." She chuckled. "Well, let's enjoy ourselves then."

Peter nodded and stood to retrieve the plates and dessert. He served her first. Coconut cake was her favorite, she smiled with pride as he sat with his plates. "Bon, appetite." He said

"What's the occasion, Peter?"

The young man looked at her with confusion. "Your...birthday."

She giggled.

"What is it?"

"My birthday's actually tomorrow night."

    The elemental laughed with her and she stopped. It had been years since she saw that smile or heard that loud laughter that only her soulmate could produce. She missed that. He stopped to look at her, he moved and picked up his plates. He sat down in the chair next to her. The two just stared at each other for what felt like forever.

"I'm...sorry that I can't remember you, CJ." He grabbed her hand

She simply smiled, it didn't bother her anymore. What mattered now was this moment. Just like when they were teenagers, his touch felt like magic to her. She leaned in and touched her head against his. Peter told her all about his dream where she was wearing glasses and a gold dress. There was another one of her wearing some kind of navy jumpsuit staring at him on the road. And finally, another where she was wearing a writing board around her neck at the cabin.

She chuckled through her tears. "Those weren't dreams, Pete. They were memories." She exhaled. "The gold dress was for my Junior Gala on New Year's Eve. It was the night...that I died. The navy jumpsuit was whenever I was in the committee in high school--I wore glasses then." She exhaled. "The board was when I came back to life. I couldn't speak 'cause...you strangled me to death."

This news clearly upset him. "What?"

"I-I was in a lot of pain, and it was my dying wish. You cared about me that much." She explained

       He sighed. "Now I understand--you died because of the virus."

She nodded.

"I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. Really." She touched his hands, she really missed being so close and talking with him like this. "What matters is that we're both here now."

"But...what about the really strange dream?" He noticed her curious expression and continued. "There was...a little girl crying under a bed. She hears a noise and rushes to her window, she had glasses and blue eyes." He looked at her, she was smiling through tears. "Like...you."

CJ was shocked and amazed by this news. "I remember that day. I-I didn't see anybody, but some roses started to sprout out of nowhere." She giggled when he wiped her tears. "Guess we have an epic love story or something."

He leaned closer to her and she did the same. "I guess we do."

The couple's lips brushed against each other and they kissed passionately. Peter pulled away and winced from the sudden pain. She tried to comfort him and he flinched. He darted off into the woods and CJ was sad. The one thing that she swore to herself to never do, was to hurt anyone else with her abilities.

[No...anybody but him.] She hurried to the sofa to retrieve her bag. [It was a mistake. I should've never come back here! Everybody...would be safer without me!] She unzipped the purse and saw the folded paper from Brenda. It was the letter that her father wanted her to read. She sat down on the sofa, sniffled and began reading. She gasped at her sudden migraine. Her head was pounding and it would not subside. Her eyes glowed violet and she had immediately fallen unconscious.