22

Later that same morning, the citizens of Madjesko were gathered in the square. There was a large crowd and stage with a podium. Felix, Jonathan, Brianna, and Penelope were waiting patiently in the large group. The civilians murmured curiously among themselves, and the pathis could hear every thought.

[What's going on?]

[What's this all about? I got somewhere else to be.]

[Nerve of those Rangers--making us wait like this.]

[I'm soooo bored!]

    Jezzi Cortlen ascended the stage first, her uniform had changed dramatically. She was no longer a young Cadet, but a mature Private. She adjusted the microphone, and everyone went silent when Corporal Timothy Gainor walked onto the stage. The scouts were shocked, and they were angry. This was the same man who tried to murder them, their friends, and kidnapped Anne D'Winter.

The man cleared his throat. "Our lives are not safe!"

Silence.

He continued. "As I'm sure you all know, this world is plagued by monsters. I'm referring to the ones who pretend to be one of us--pretend to be hu-man, and those who support and hide them. These...freaks are everywhere!" The scouts were getting angry. Who the hell was he to judge anyone? Gainor loosened his tie as the audience reacted. "You invite them into your homes, they are your neighbors, they even go to school with your children! They're your employees, these monsters could be in the crowd right now!" The people looked at each other suspiciously and fearfully.

The scouts were getting worried. What exactly was he planning?

    The Corporal looked like a madman. "They're stronger, faster, and some even have the power to read and control our minds--not to mention that they have fangs and claws! I myself have come face to face with these creatures first hand." He chuckled. "One of them broke into my house, threatened my daughter's life, and then had the gall to ask for my loyalty. Another broke in, and tried to murder me in my own bed! I don't feel safe at home anymore, and neither should you. But--as powerful as these animals are, they can be defeated." He pulled a syringe out his back pocket. "This...formula can solve all of our problems. But, first things first. We will expose and deal with their supporters!" The crowd noticed some troopers yank the Chancellor onto the stage, and they were furious.

"How dare you!?" Someone shouted

"Let her go!" Someone else demanded

Her bodyguards emerged and held guns against the soldiers' backs. Lulu held them back and hung her head in shame as she approached the podium. The woman noticed her young battalion, they were ready to strike if necessary. She simply smirked apologetically and shook her head. Lulu would face her punishment head-on.

   She exhaled and addressed the people. "The Ranger is right--I am a supporter! I have been for quite some time now. But, please listen to me! These people that you all fear are just that...people! They've saved your lives many times, whether you know it or not! Timothy Gainor speaks from a bitter place! The changers have all risked their own lives every day. They do it for all of you! All of us!"

No one seemed to be convinced. Gainor pushed her to the side. 

"She lies! I've watched one of my own majors burn in a fire. I saw him again days later, he didn't even have a scratch!" He quickly pulled out the syringe and stabbed her in the arm. She winced from the pain and fell to her knees.

The young fighters pushed through the crowd and Penelope sprouted bionic wings. Everyone panicked as she flew onto the platform.

She shrieked and people reacted and covered their ears from the pulsating noise. "Back off, all of you!"

The others helped their handler to her feet. A crowd member shouted something. Soon, the audience agreed and began to throw things at them onstage. Penelope grunted. Her wings elongated the length of the platform, to protect her friends. The Corporal panicked and ran off with Jezzi by his side. Alberto Garza and his family watched in shock. He and his family proudly moved and joined them on stage. The bodyguards reacted and quickly set up a mobile forcefield on the platform, shielding those of any painful flying debris. The Abrogatium had combatted the Chancellor's heart medication, she slowly closed her eyes.