Chapter Six

"Wake up, it's time for early morning running," Steve says as he enters my room. 

I groan as I wake up from my deep slumber. "I don't remember agreeing to that," I groan as I rubbed my eyes. 

"Well, you're doing it. Now get up and get dressed," he says as he leaves. I rub my eyes a bit more before pulling myself off of the bed. I take off my shirt and put on a sports bra. I then put on a pair of shorts they provided. They were a bit baggy, but what can you do? I pull the drawstrings of the shorts so that they'd fit my skinny form. 

I briefly brush through my hair along with my teeth. 

I then make my way to the lounge. As I enter, Sam's eyes are immediately on me. 

"Are we sure a nine-year-old is allowed to dress like that?" Sam asks Steve. Steve then turns away from the fridge and toward me. 

"Nope, definitely not. Go put on a t-shirt or a tank top," Steve instructs as he points toward the lounge door. 

"Yes, I am going to dress like this. I'm fourteen and I also dressed like this when I'd go out on runs," I argue at him. "Now throw me a granola bar." Sam throws me a granola bar and I catch it in my hands with ease. I open it and take a bite. 

As I continue eating the bar, I walk toward the cabinets that held the water bottles. I grab one and fill it with water. I close the cap and then sit next to Sam. "Doesn't Bucky usually join you guys on this running thing?" I ask. 

"Yes, but the whole group has decided to take it slow with you and Buck, so I told him that I'd go running with him later," Steve answers as he takes a sip of his water. 

"On your left," Steve says as he passes us again. 

"Goddamnit!" Sam yells. "How the hell are you even keeping up with me?" he asked, "And how are you not out of breath?"

"Running away from authorities helps," I answer, "Also, just not caring that your body has had enough until you collapse also helps." At that moment, my legs gave out and I fell to the ground. Luckily we were close to the grassy area so I just dragged myself to a tree and took sips of my water. 

Eventually, Sam came to join me. He leaned against the tree as well. "Does he always do thirteen miles in thirty minutes?" I ask. 

"Yeah, but I've seen him do twenty miles in that same time frame. You're not bad, but you need to give your body a break."

"Eh," I say as I shrug my shoulders. 

"Hey, guys," Steve says as he stops near us. I roll my eyes as he enters my view. I ignore their conversation as I stared off into space. Steve then gives my shoulder a slight nudge. "Hey, I saw you fall earlier. Did something happen?" 

I shrugged as I went back to staring off into space. "Hey, we're going. Come on," Sam says as he stands up. I shakily lift myself from the ground as if my legs were made out of twigs. "You good?" he asks. 

"Yeah," I say as I shakily walk myself over to them. I ended up falling against Steve as I clutched his muscled arm for support. "I'm just going to use you for support," I say as I continue clutching his arm. 

"Okay," he says as he and Sam begin walking. I walk shakily along with them as inspect them both. 

Steve was very well built and so was Sam, but Steve more so. Steve and Sam seemed to have more of a brother-like complex. 

I clutched onto Steve's arm as my legs begin to shake even more. 

I had entered the lounge after having a long shower. My hair was still damp. I jumped onto the couch from behind and crossed my legs. I put my hands behind my head as I closed my chocolate and sky blue eyes.