Chapter Twenty Four

I was surrounded in the darkness, but I was sitting on the ground; I'll be it wet ground. I no longer felt in the air, but in somewhere familiar. Suddenly, the image of a mirror in front of me appears and, almost instinctively, I walk towards it as my feet splash in what I hoped was water.

I tried speaking, but I couldn't. My words were caught in bubbles that I choked up as they floated up into the dark abyss. Was this death?

When I finally looked in the mirror, my eyes were once again of a bright yellow hue with a matching yellow stone in my forehead.

But in an instant, my reflection was gone replaced with a small child that I no longer recognized. She looks up at me and puts her hand on the glass. Her stare was emotionless and cold, but I could see she was analyzing me.

"So, kid, what do you see?" I asked as I sat down on my knees to reach her eye level.

"You're dying," she said matter of factly, "What's it like?"

"You should know. You've already died once," I chuckled. I knew who she was. She was the girl I was in those two years I don't remember anything; the girl I became when I died the first time.

"Darling, who are you talking to?~" a suave Irish accent popped out. The girl turned away from me to look at the man approaching. When he finally came into view, my eyes widened. Jim Moriarty stared at the young girl with a sadistic smile, but then he turned his attention to me; his smile dropped and he clearly rolled his eyes at me.

"Are you what she becomes?" he asks. His voice held clear disgust, "Just another one of those Super Soldiers gone rogue?"

I don't know why, but his words angered me. I loved, I felt emotions, I had control over my actions, I wasn't just a mind-controlled freak!

"You always gave such an easy reaction. Who do you think taught you the game of deductions?~" he teased.

"But who won at life, huh?!" I screamed at him, "You died first!" I don't know why I was so angry, but I was. This man angered me to my core.

"Are you really that mad at me?~ Mad that I left you, just like mummy and daddy?~" he continued to tease. My rage was building up at this man as I hung my head. My fist clenched as this man continued to tease me.

"You really have grown stupid," he laughs, "You can't even tell the water has risen over your mouth." He continues to insanely laugh as my eyes go wide and eventually, I'm completely submerged.

Air, I need air.

No, I don't. I need answers.

I look up, but I was too far underneath the surface. There was no light, no warmth... nothing. Was this what dying felt like? Drowning?

How do I get out of here? Where even was here?

"This is your brain, of course," a new voice spoke. I look for the voice in the darkness, but I couldn't find anyone. "You should know how to navigate your own mind." The voice was strange. It was masculine, yet feminine. It was like the audio had been overlaid several times.

The voices kept talking louder and louder to the point I could feel my ears bleeding. I had tried my best to cover my ears, but that was nearly impossible with only one arm.

The voices began to argue and yell at each other. I couldn't take it. If I was going to die, I wanted to die in peace!

"Shut up! All of you!" I screamed, but their voices were so much more powerful than my own that it seemed as if I had only whispered. But then I began to think for myself. Yes, I wanted to die in peace, but I can't control other peoples' actions.