Chapter Sixteen

"This is it?" Chip asked as we entered the room. "It's so dusty." We all looked hesitant at the room. It was obvious no one had been up here in years. I walked up to the fireplace and ran my finger across the mantel. I sneezed as I brought my finger back up to my face to examine it. 

"I'd say no one has been here in a little over two years," I mumbled as I set my bag down on one of the plush chairs. "Also, it seems that whoever lived here before us left in a hurry since they left all of their stuff here."

"Oh, well you are correct about that, dear," another voice said. I turned to see a ginger old lady standing in the doorway. "Those two boys were always off running around, solving mysteries, shooting my wall..." I looked over to the wall where there were several bullet holes and a yellow smiley face spray painted on it. "One day they got into a little too much trouble and had to leave suddenly. Don't know where they're at now." 

"Who were they?" Jordan asked as he set the suitcase on the couch. 

"They were Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. I believe you know them. John wrote a book about their adventures," she answered. There was a forlorn smile on her face. She must've really loved them like they were her own family. 

"So, Sherlock and Watson were real people?!" Jordan asked; he was obviously flabbergasted by the situation. "So does that mean that the other characters were real?" 

"Yes, they're all real. Oh, my name is Mrs. Hudson. It's a pleasure to meet you three," she said. "Shall I make you all a cuppa?" she asked. 

"No, thank you. I think we want to look around a little," I declined as I already began searching around. Then, something rotten hit my nose as I entered the kitchen. My nose immediately scrunched up at the smell. As I squeezed my nose shut, I asked, "Why does it smell like a rotting corpse in here?!" a yelled in exasperation. I walked over to the fridge and tugged it open. I looked in and it was a rotting head!

"Oh, god! What the hell is that?!" Jordan yelled as he entered the kitchen with his nose also plugged. I quickly slammed the fridge shut. 

"This fucking lunatic left a rotting head in the fridge!" I yelled as I ran to the living room. Jordan quickly followed as I shut the shutters. 

We all quickly opened the windows as we let the London air seep into the apartment and the putrid smell rush out. "Oh, fuck! That head must've been in there for at least two years!" I gagged at the thought. 

"So... who's gonna clean it up?" Chip asked as all three of hung our head out the windows. Both boys then looked at me. 

"Why me?" I asked. 

"You're the reason we're here; it's your job to deal with that now," Jordan reasoned as he pointed toward the kitchen. 

"Ugh, fine, but I'm gonna take it to the morgue. Some poor soul is probably wondering where it was," I groan as I stand up. "Somebody get me some gloves and five trash bags," I said as I stood up. I grabbed my surgical mask from my hoodie pocket and put it over my mouth and nose. 

🔫🔫🔫

I held the bag with the severed head, jar of pickled human eyes, and severed fingers out to the brunette woman in front of me. I tilted my head slightly as I motioned for her to take it. "You were friends with Sherlock Holmes, right? Then take it," I was irritated with this girl. "If the words floating around you are right, then you're Molly Hooper. You were friends with Sherlock." 

"U-uh..." she just kind of stared down at me. Obviously shocked that a nine-year-old came in with a severed head in a bag. What made it even worse was that it was slowly defrosting and was beginning to ooze.