Chapter Seventeen

I awoke with a clear mind and pain in my middle. Barking was giving me a headache though. I opened my eyes to see a big dog on top of me; he was barking my ears off. "Chip, shut up," I said as I sat up. He transformed back. 

"Sorry," he says with a very guilty face. "It's just that... there's a guy looking for you and I was a dog when he came in and you wouldn't wake up so--" I put my fingers on his lips to shut up his rambling. He too had obviously just gotten up with his hair a mess. 

I groaned as the pain in my middle seared through me. "Wh-what did this guy look like?" 

"He had grey hair, middle-aged, smells of stress and cigarettes," Chip had described. "Who is he?" I groaned. Lestrade must've found something new on the case. 

"That is Lestrade. He's a detective that I helped with a case yesterday," I explained as I stood up from the bed. Sherlock's coat was still laying over my shoulders. "Did he say what he wanted?"

"Said he needed to speak with you about a case--"

"Knew it," I sighed, "Go get me one of Jordan's t-shirts and I'll be out in a bit." He nodded before turning back into a german shepherd. He ran out of the room. "Fuck, what time is it anyway?" I squinted at a clock. Eight AM? Seriously? Why did he have to find this shit out so early? 

Chip came back in with a purple t-shirt in his mouth and placed it on the bed. He barked then ran back out the door. I groaned as I slid off Sherlock's coat. "Fuck," I sighed as I fell onto the bed. "I need pain meds." I painfully pull off Ward's shirt and slid on Jordan's. I hadn't brought any of my own clothes. I slid Sherlock's coat back over my shoulders and walked out the door. 

As I entered the hall, Lestrade called, "Took you long enough!" I groaned as I walked. 

"Fuck off, Lestrade!" I yelled back as I limped to the kitchen. Jordan saw my state and immediately leaped off of his chair. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked as he approached me. Worry was glazed over his tan face. His already thin lips in an even thinner line. His hand on my shoulder. 

"I-I got into a bar fight a few days ago," I panted, "I have a small wound, but it's just in that right area. All I need are-are some pain meds." 

He immediately shifted through a few of the drawers until he picked something newer out. "I got some new stuff while you were out yesterday," he said as he opened the bottle. He plopped two pills out and shoved them in my mouth. I swallowed them dry and went to grab some water. 

The clinking of glasses could be heard as I reached up to grab one and fill it with water. 

"Anyway," I said, "What do you have for me, Lestrade?" I gulped down a full glass before refilling it again. 

"New murder, same weapon," he said as he entered the kitchen. "Is that Sherlock's jacket?" 

"Yeah, he left it here when he left two years ago," I said, "Since I'm filling in for him, might as well have the jacket. I assume you all have introduced yourselves..." 

"Yeah, we have. Didn't know you had a dog," Lestrade said. 

"Yeah, that's Jonah," I said, "He'll actually be helping us today."

🔫🔫🔫

I pet Chip on the head as we sit in the taxi. I looked uninterestingly out the window, observing best I could the people outside. British people were so uninteresting. Plus, they still followed a monarchy that doesn't even make sense in this modern age.  

The roads sped by as I looked up to the taxi driver in front of us. Something was off with him. He had a family and was married, but he wasn't wearing a ring. He seemed to not even be from here. Time to investigate.