Chapter 1

It was a typical Monday morning at Northefielde Elements Inc. and Mikayla Moss was sitting happily at her desk.

As she sat there, staring at her computer screen with a small smile on her face, her thoughts were focused on a recent trip that she made to her homeland of Trinidad and Tobago.

Images of the ocean filled her mind, and she desperately wished that she could be lounging on the sandy shore. If she closed her eyes long enough, she could almost hear the sounds of the young boy playing a steel-pan under a coconut tree.

"What I wouldn't do for a Maracas Bake and Shark right about now," Mikayla said softly.

Her desk was located in a neat cubicle in the wide hallway, just outside of her boss' office.

Mr. Brian Northefielde had been a good employer these last five years that she had been working for him. As a favour to her parents, Mikayla had been given an opportunity to do an internship at his software company located in the City of London.

Mikayla had done a fantastic job every summer over a three-year period. To the point that, as soon as she graduated from university with a degree in Communications and a minor in Marketing at the age of 21, she was offered a full-time job to work as his personal assistant.

Mr. Northefielde was an average-looking white man in his early forties, with brown eyes and brown hair that had flecks of grey scattered about at his temples. Sometimes he had the habit of spacing out and forgetting he had certain meetings when he became overwhelmed, but that's where Mikayla came in.

She had proven herself on numerous occasions as she went above and beyond for her boss, making sure that everything was kept in order. Mikayla loved her job, and took pride in the work that she did, no matter the task.

Humming a soft tune to herself, her fingers moved quickly over the keyboard as she updated Mr. Northefielde's monthly itinerary.

The doors of the elevator opened and out walked the enigmatic Mr. Damien Arnauld with four men who all wore matching black suits.

As always, Damien walked like he owned the place. He possessed this strong and commanding presence that took over any room he entered.

Mikayla stopped what she was doing to look over at him. She could not help but notice the way his dark grey 3-piece suit fit him. If one did not know any better, they could assume that he had just stepped out of a magazine photo shoot.

"What is he doing here today?" Mikayla asked herself, as her brows creased while quickly double-checking her boss' calendar.

She noted that she was not mistaken. Damien's meeting with Mr. Northefielde was not scheduled until next week Thursday. Letting out a deep breath, Mikayla quickly stood up and smoothed her black pencil skirt over her wide hips as she rushed around her desk to greet the Frenchman.

Damien Arnauld had taken over the family's firm five years ago after his father retired and now, at the age of thirty-three, the young CEO had grown the software and engineering company into one of the top businesses in the world.

In addition, he also dabbled in real estate and had a few other profitable dealings. He was a tall man, around 6foot 4inches, with thick straight brunette hair and aquamarine eyes. If one stood close enough to him, one would notice that there were flecks of yellow around each iris, making his eyes even more captivating than they already were.

His chin was strong and sharp, and he usually sported a very low and short beard to accentuate his jawline, giving him a bit of a handsomely rugged look. Every time Mikayla saw Damien, that short beard of his was always kept neat and trimmed. Even though she was not a fan of facial hair, she had to admit that it suited him.