Chapter 23

After a delicious French breakfast early that morning, Damien and Mikayla said goodbye to Daniel and Sophie, then headed into the city centre of Paris, where Damien owned an apartment. He intended to spend the rest of the weekend taking Mikayla around the enchanting city.

"What the heck Damien!" Mikayla's eyes were wide as they entered the double living room area.

She ran to the floor-to-ceiling French windows, which doubled as doors that led to a small wrought iron balcony. Her eyes sparkled at the Eiffel Tower.

"I mean, when you told me it was close, I didn't expect it to be this close!" she gushed, as she looked around the apartment.

The view of the Eiffel Tower was so spectacular and it seemed so near that she felt like she could have reached her hand out and touched it.

The two-bedroom apartment was located in an 18th century building, near all of central Paris. The outside of the structure had that classical architecture design that was aesthetically European.

The interior spotted a mix of modern and antique décor and she loved the way that Damien had transformed the space. There was a large open plan in the living and dining room area that was framed by floor-to-ceiling glass panes, letting a lot of light into the room. The same views were available from the bedrooms and Mikayla took her time to soak in the sights before her.

Damien walked up behind her as she was standing on the small balcony just off the bedroom.

His hands came to wrap themselves around her. "Do you like it?" he asked, his voice a bit unsure.

He had wanted to make this trip special for her, but he did not want her to feel like he was excessively wasting money. He was aware that his wealth still made her feel a bit uncomfortable.

Nodding as she relaxed back into him, "It's perfect," she had not missed the hint of uncertainty in his voice, "thanks for not overdoing the lavishness."

Chuckling, he kissed her neck, "I'm trying. I figured you'd not kick my ass too much if I just used what's already at my disposal instead of sourcing other things."

"Sneaky..." Mikayla turned, her arms wrapping around his neck as she kissed him deeply. She then asked with a mischievous smile, "Do we have time for a quickie?"

Growling softly, Damien picked her up and dropped her onto the bed, already lowering the zipper of his pants, his eyes full of desire, "Always..."

————— ▲ —————

"Ah! Damien!" Mikayla exclaimed, as she sat at the small sidewalk table with Damien at the popular restaurant L'Escargot, a platter of six snails staring up at her, "I've never had the courage to try snails before."

"That's why you're going to try it now," Damien said with a smile, as his aquamarine eyes looked over to her, appreciating her beauty in the shade of the mid-day sun.

He had to admit that he loved the orange tinge that her skin got in the daylight. His left hand reached across the table to rest on top of one of hers, his thumb idly running over the back of her hand. It was something that he found himself subconsciously doing on many occasions, that and holding her hand. He realised that he always wanted to be in contact with her in some way, shape or form.

"Go on, try it," his smooth voice encouraged her.

Mikayla crinkled her nose a bit as she looked down at the silver tray, the shells oozing green liquid which was a mixture of parsley, butter and garlic. With slow movements, she awkwardly removed the snail from the shell then put it in her mouth quickly, before her resolve disappeared.